Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ear infection bloody discharge

(8 Posts)
applespearsbears Tue 13-Feb-18 10:07:57

Hello
Just to say we are going back to the doctors later today but looking for advice or a hand hold

My DC had a really bad ear ache on Sunday night we were up almost all night with fever and vomiting. Doctor said ear infection yesterday and gave us an antibiotic and steroid spray which we've use twice.

My DC now says the pain has gone and she seems much more herself but she has a sticky bloody discharge coming from her ear , quite a regular flow. I'm tempted to ring 111 back to see if we can go to the UCC . I don't know what's normal for an ear infection and don't want to use Dr Google, any advice appreciated.

BrazzleDazzleDay Tue 13-Feb-18 10:09:53

A burst eardrum i would guess

JumpingFrogs Tue 13-Feb-18 10:14:53

I think this is quite normal. I remember this happening to one of my dcs. A perforated ear drum. If she's already on antibiotics it will heal but ring 111 if you want reassurance.

milkjetmum Tue 13-Feb-18 10:16:12

Dd2 perforated her eardrum a few weeks ago and had steady stream of waxy goo from ear for around 3 days. Started off puss-y with a little red in it, then settled into standard thick golden yellow earwax, then to thinner yellow wax (more like a runny nose) then stopped. But wouldn't have ever said it was bloody so doctor definitely required (might they have scratched their ear to cause bleeding it or is it in amongst the goo?)

It's rubbish, remember to keep water away from that ear so extra care in bath and no swimming for a while

NorthernLurker Tue 13-Feb-18 10:17:00

If she's already on antibiotics and feels better in herself I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe give it a day or so and if no improvement see the doctor again.

applespearsbears Tue 13-Feb-18 10:54:02

Thank you all , the discharge flow is slowing up a little and is maybe a little less bloody. I guess it's blood that's worrying me. Going to Doctors at 3 pm

yodaforpresident Tue 13-Feb-18 10:58:14

Is the ear canal swollen shut? If so, an ear wick might be need to make sure that the antibiotic drops/ spray can actually reach the infection.

applespearsbears Tue 13-Feb-18 11:03:17

This morning i did wonder how the spray was getting in there but it seems to be clearer now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now