Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Should I ignore my motherly instincts?

(12 Posts)
Avocado0nToast Tue 13-Feb-18 08:19:59

My son 2.5 has been poorly for months. He's has three lots of antibiotics (for ear and chest infections) and a full blood work up which showed nothing untoward.

He's woken up today with a temperature of 40.2 again. Symptoms over the past 3 months have included many high fevers (at least one a week) , ear ache, stomach pain and constant moaning at night (moaning and groaning every hour or so for the last 3 months) and also moaning sometimes when having nappy changed. He's also gained very little weight - 1kg in 15 months, has dropped a percentile and isn't even triple his birth weight.

I didnt think there was anything wrong with him apart from lots of viruses and bad luck health wise, and the bloods and doctors seem to agree. But does anyone think I should be pushing for something else, or have similar experiences? I just don't know what to do to help him.

INeedNewShoes Tue 13-Feb-18 08:25:37

It might be worth speaking to your health visitor. They have minimum four years training in infant/young child health and may have a suggestion or, if they're concerned will push for a referral or at least support your need to go back to the GP.

I think dropping two percentile lines is the automatic trigger for a referral to a pediatrician so keep an eye on his weight.

But more briefly, in answer to your question, if you are concerned, and with frequent temperatures of 40+ I think you would not be 'wasting' a doctor's time to have him seen.

That's all with the caveat that you haven't been going to the GP weekly for the past 15 months about it (which it doesn't sound like you have!)

Bananacabana Tue 13-Feb-18 08:33:13

Please trust your instincts and take him back to the GP. Don't let them fob you off. Hope he gets well soon and hope you're okay too. thanks

newmum2018385 Tue 13-Feb-18 08:52:50

Always trust your instincts. I would go back to your Gp. Hope he gets better soon

cindersrella Tue 13-Feb-18 09:03:45

I would definatley be pushing for more! 40.2' is a nasty temperature mine have had virus's/infractions but only ever got to 39.4. Never as high as your little one!

Teething can really effect some children. Not sure what you think. Both of mine always seemed to be terrible when they were cutting and my Nephew was In Hospital often when cutting teeth with chest infections and virus's. Some people thinks effects of teething are coincidence...

If your still not happy and getting no joy from GP it maybe an idea to see a private paediatric doc (obviously it's a lot of money and depends on finances).

My little one had dairy intolerance and we couldn't work out what it was for months and docs were not really much of a help... so this was our last option really to go private

HerrenaHarridan Tue 13-Feb-18 09:08:42

Have you played around with his diet?

When I was little I was lactose intolerant.

My mum had no idea and kept giving me milk. I was low/medium level ill continuously for the best part of a year.

Similarly not gaining weight and dr baffled but unfussed.

It wasn’t until my mum switched me to dairy free milk that I finally started to perk up.

So it could be worth experimenting with removing dairy or gluten

FoofFighter Tue 13-Feb-18 09:18:34

Don't remove gluten if you suspect that. If it ends up going to testing they need gluten in the system.

cindersrella Tue 13-Feb-18 09:28:35

I never experienced temperatures as a symptom of my little ones intolerances?

jacobsgirl Tue 13-Feb-18 09:38:52

I think always trust your instincts thanks

Notso Tue 13-Feb-18 09:50:27

I was going to say have you noticed any correlation with certain foods and the stomach pain. Don't exclude anything though if you have suspicions just keep a food diary.

Virus symptoms can last for around a month, so it could be that he has just had a bad run. I know that my younger two had pretty much constant low level illness from around 18 months to 3 years.

Notso Tue 13-Feb-18 09:56:24

You could also try giving him a probiotic to help restore his healthy gut bacteria after the antibiotics.

Avocado0nToast Tue 13-Feb-18 10:00:36

Thank you everyone for being so kind 😥. I just feel a bit helpless. The doctor has been helpful (I've taken him about 5 times in last 3 months) and took it seriously enough to refer him to hospital for blood, kidney and liver function tests etc. These were all clear so I don't really know what else I can try. I just want him to be better.

I'm really not someone whose down the doctor every week for every sniffle but feel like I'm looking like that now, in the past few months!

I hadn't thought of an intolerance - could this come on suddenly after age of 2? We never had any problems with food.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: