Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

cranial osteopathy

(6 Posts)
Laurenjh Sun 11-Feb-18 16:54:13

Hiya!
My baby boy is 21 weeks and is still suffering with really bad wind, we’ve put him on to LF milk which did help but now he’s left suffering with real bad trapped wind, he can’t settle and cries for most of the day.
I’ve read about cranial osteopathy helping some babies with their wind and colic but wanted to see wether it really is worth going through with?
Any help and advice is welcome! Thank you!

Laurenjh Sun 11-Feb-18 16:56:50

I should also add, he’s a twin and was born via planned c section at 37+2 weeks, apparently that could be something which caused his problem to pass wind? X

OlderTaz87 Tue 13-Feb-18 10:06:35

sorry, was coming to update on my own recent post and just quickly spotted this scrolling through. i am a HUGE advocate of cranial osteopathy. i had huge issues 13 years ago with my first baby after a horrible birth, crying non stop beyond what felt 'normal' for months and months. There were colic issues too, but it was beyond even that.

I went to a place called the OCC in London a 'cry-sis' helpline directed me there. I have never looked back. It was a saviour for me and for my gorgeous little girl at the time. I cant even begin to explain the difference. There wasn't as many places practicing then but i know there is even more places these days, heck even my own BIL who is a fully qualified osteo now does cranial too for children.

Please do give it a try, i dont think you have anything to lose and a lot to gain. Best of luck to you.

NB, if you go it will seem very 'understated' what they're doing, just the smallest of movements with their hands etc and i found it bizarre to behold. The practitioner told me things about her birth i never divulged as he could just 'feel' misalignment in her etc and tell certain things. Crazy, but flipping great.

Laurenjh Tue 13-Feb-18 12:16:10

Thank you! I’ve been debating wether it be worth it, but I’ve tried all other options!
I will get him an appointment sorted this week! Thank you for your help smile

MincemeatTart Tue 13-Feb-18 12:21:38

I’m afraid there is no evidence whatsoever to support a view that it provides any benefit. Think logically how can tickling the back of a babies neck create improvement in colic?
At best it provides a calm environment and relaxes the baby momentarily. This shows the parent that ‘ it is working’ and reduces parental stress. More relaxed parent = more relaxed child so there appears to be improvement. Swimming works just as well.

ElphabaTheGreen Tue 13-Feb-18 12:41:33

What Mincemeat said. Cranial osteopathy is utter woo. They literally lay the tips of their fingers very gently on the baby's head and mutter absolute bollocks about various bones compressing different parts of the brain. I tried it in desperation with my very unsettled, non-sleeping DS1, but I'm an occupational therapist working in neurosciences so as soon as I saw what she was doing and heard the baseless guff coming out her mouth, I instantly regretted the decision and never went back.

It works if the parent thinks it works, or it happens to coincide with a period where the baby would have settled anyway. Amber necklaces/bracelets are the same. Save your money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now