Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please help, worried about dd

(21 Posts)
Gigimoll Thu 08-Feb-18 23:31:03

So the other night I woke up to her in the early hours screaming and burning up really bad. I gave her calpol and she seemed her normal happy self.
Last night was just none stop screaming and temp. Took her to the doctors who told us it wasn't teething (she has no teeth) but the flu. Despite her not being chesty or coughing and not being snuffly or sneezing. She's almost 10 months old and she's just not herself. Should I seek a second opinion?

123bananas Thu 08-Feb-18 23:33:44

Phone 111 for advice they are best placed to advise you at this time.

AnonEvent Thu 08-Feb-18 23:35:11

There are a lot of bugs going around at the moment. DD is 15 months old, and has had temp spikes on an off all week, lots of crying (she’s normally a very easy going toddler), lots of sleeping (she doesn’t normally like that at all). I’ve taken her to the doc twice, docs were in agreement that it’s a virus, keep her hydrated, cycle between a Calpol and Ibuprofen to keep her fever down etc.

I’m firmly of the belief that if you’re not happy, or worried, or feel like something could have been missed, keep asking, make as many appointments as you need. Yes, the NHS is under pressure but our children are too precious to take any risks with.

Rainbowsandflowers78 Fri 09-Feb-18 01:00:54

Yes phone 111 now

SleepingStandingUp Fri 09-Feb-18 01:07:17

How is she tonight? Pointless calling 111 about last night but if calpol and ibuprofen arent helping and arent dropping temperature, if she's not eating or drinking, rash etc then 111 or GP in the morning

Gigimoll Fri 09-Feb-18 10:47:30

Her dad did the night shift last night. She had a better night but I think I just needed sleep. Apparently she just whined for a bottle but we all had a lovely lie in til 9.
She seems a little better today but still really off an I can see it in her eyes she's not well. Temp is still high sad

SleepingStandingUp Fri 09-Feb-18 11:41:37

Is calpol bringing it down?

Gigimoll Fri 09-Feb-18 12:39:50

Not really sad this can't just be teeth or flu can it?

FrankiesKnuckle Fri 09-Feb-18 12:42:05

Yes, it can.

In what way is she 'off'?

Is she eating/drinking?
Wet nappies?
What's her mood like?
Sleeping more?

SleepingStandingUp Fri 09-Feb-18 13:12:45

If her temp is up after calpol you can give brufen (kids one)' if that doesn't work id call 111.
Can you call GP and get an emergency apt so they can listen to her chest etc?

If she's floppy, struggling to breathe etc. you need hospital

Gigimoll Fri 09-Feb-18 13:36:29

She's usually really alert, really smiley, she fights sleep cause she's so nosy and she's just really lethargic the past few days, there's no fight to sleep anymore really not smiling at much or finding the usual things funny sad the doctor listened to her chest yesterday and said she was all okay but I just worry sad

Gigimoll Fri 09-Feb-18 13:37:12

Not eating solids. Barely taking a bottle

idontlikealdi Fri 09-Feb-18 13:38:39

If she's lethargic and not taking a bottle get an emergency go appt or go to a walk in

Gigimoll Fri 09-Feb-18 19:47:54

Ladies if you're still following, I've come home to find she's refusing food and drink and only had one bottle. Just tried to give her nurofen and its choked her so had to smack her on the back. 111?

Quartz2208 Fri 09-Feb-18 19:49:43

I would go to walk in/a&e with that she needs to see someone

Keel Fri 09-Feb-18 19:51:03

I'd phone 111 and try to get in at ooh. Hope she feels better soon bless her

Fettuccinecarbonara Fri 09-Feb-18 19:54:16

What is her temperature?
What medicine has she had and when?
When did she last have fluids?
When was her last wet nappy?
Can she be roused?
What are your main concerns?

Those are the questions you’ll need to tell a healthcare practitioner for them to decide whether she needs to be seen.

I’d think maybe tonsillitis if she can’t take medicine? I’d not instantly think a&e if she was mine; though it would very much depend on the answers to the above questions.

GrowThroughWhatYouGoThrough Fri 09-Feb-18 19:58:40

We've had virus after virus with my ds it's been horrendous. If your worried ring 111 particularly if she isn't drinking.

Gigimoll Fri 09-Feb-18 20:08:42

Not sure on temp thermometer broke but she's definitely burnt up a lot.
She last had a bottle at 2. I've tricked her into having 3oz just by watching bing.
Gave her baby nurofen around half hour ago when I got in.
Just concerned. Not too sure what it is or what's up with her

widgetbeana Sat 10-Feb-18 16:47:48

Tonsils?

My youngest had tonsils problems from 9 months until 2. She would stop eating and reduce drinking as well as high temps. We did this 6 times in with months. Then she was out in medication (for another condition) which made her healthier in general so she hasn’t had it since then.

But the not eating, screaming and temp sounds familiar. If they do say it’s tonsils make them swab them as well as antibiotics. If you ever want them taken out they need evidence it was indeed tonsillitis before they will count it.

bluebell34567 Sat 10-Feb-18 17:20:05

my dc was like that.
then had a new tooth.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: