Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Headache, sore neck and fever, 9yo boy

(15 Posts)
BarbaraOcumbungles Thu 08-Feb-18 22:21:44

My DS has these symptoms since I picked him up from after school he's also snotty and feeling a but under the weather. I can't find the thermometer but he's definitely warm. Doesn't seem massively unwell, just like he has a slight cold. He isn't sensitive to light, doesn't feel sick, is eating and drinking, isn't pale etc.

I know these are meningitis symptoms but he doesn't seem ill enough.

Should I be taking him to a&he to get checked over?

SezziBaybee Thu 08-Feb-18 22:23:01

Try and find the thermometer. I would pop him in bed next to you and keep a very close eye tonight. Xx

TeaforTiger Thu 08-Feb-18 22:23:30

Call 111 for advice.

Worldsworstcook Thu 08-Feb-18 22:24:04

Could be flu however he's a kid and they are laws onto themselves - I'd certainly be getting a dr to check him over.

My dd's friend thought she had flu last month and tragically had meningitis and died. Best play it safe OP.

LovingLola Thu 08-Feb-18 22:24:47

Meningitis is one childhood illness that scares the shit out of me, due to the speed of spread and the consequences. I would seek medical advice to be honest with you.
I am sure he is fine but better be safe than sorry.

brownelephant Thu 08-Feb-18 22:25:45

headache sounds normal for a cold.
can he move his neck fine? can he tough his chest with his chin?
--has he maybe sat in a weird position (reading, watching tv) for a while which made him feel stiff?
has he stiffness elsewhere (a flu symptom)

BarbaraOcumbungles Thu 08-Feb-18 22:28:13

He has full range of motion in his neck but hasn't mentioned pain anywhere else.

worldsworst how awful sad

brownelephant Thu 08-Feb-18 22:30:12

dc gets mixed up with neck/throat...
is the pain outside or in?

BarbaraOcumbungles Thu 08-Feb-18 22:30:55

Outside at the back.

Dragongirl10 Thu 08-Feb-18 22:32:55

Please get him checked Op

Bowerbird5 Thu 08-Feb-18 22:38:37

I would get him checked.

Two of my kids have had meningitis. My daughter was quite poorly. The doctor said to bring her in two hours. I packed a bag and took her in. He got a shock when he saw her. Luckily my prompt action saved her. She was in hospital for about a week and has horrendous headaches now due to inflammation of the brain. My son wasn't as Ill .

BarbaraOcumbungles Thu 08-Feb-18 22:50:13

I've called 111 they're going to get a nurse to call me back within a couple of hours. DD is asleep now and doesn't feel as warm as he's had some paracetamol. They asked me to get him to put his head to his chest and he can no problem.

woosey35 Thu 08-Feb-18 23:53:50

I’m
Glad you’ve got him checked. Let us know what the doctor says x

Umakemefeellikedancing Fri 09-Feb-18 00:01:05

It could be Scarlett Fever but I'm not a doctor

BarbaraOcumbungles Fri 09-Feb-18 09:39:24

Had a call back and the nurse said she wasn’t concerned so I had him in bed with me, for about 2hrs broken sleep and watched him all night and he’s woken up this morning feeling on top on the world and is staying home with his dad as it’s an inset day.

I’m at work feeling like death warmed up.

Kids!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now