Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Pain in testicle

(25 Posts)
GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Thu 08-Feb-18 16:20:56

Ds has come home from school with pain in his left teste. I’ve had a quick google but there’s not much in the way of diognoses. Should I try and get him a dr appt? He’s 11. I’ve given him ibuprofen but no improvement and he’s walking like John Wayne!

callow Thu 08-Feb-18 16:24:14

Yes get him an appointment as soon as possible or ring 111. It could be a twisted testicle which is a medical emergency.

LoisSangersVoice Thu 08-Feb-18 16:30:49

A&E job - I'm a children's doctor. It might be nothing, but not worth hanging around on this one.

sproutsandparsnips Thu 08-Feb-18 16:31:03

Second Callow. Tell them it's testicular pain. In a young boy that possibly could be a torsion (or infection which is more likely)

catchyjem Thu 08-Feb-18 16:32:19

If it's a twisted testicle it can lead to infertility. Do not delay in seeking medical help.

Stradbroke Thu 08-Feb-18 16:36:19

Go straight to hospital. My son had a painful testicle last year and was in surgery 2 hours after we arrived in A&E. If it is twisted they have about 8 hours to save it or else it dies.

Be prepared for surgery.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Thu 08-Feb-18 16:38:56

Fuck this sounds bad. Argh! Will have to call dh home from work.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Thu 08-Feb-18 18:40:50

Currently sat in A and E sad

LEMtheoriginal Thu 08-Feb-18 18:44:31

Ouchie my bosses son had this and was rushed in with possible testicular torsion. Thankfully the pain subsided on the way in or it would have been surgery

Hullabaloo40 Thu 08-Feb-18 18:45:00

So weird, my 12 year old son has just said the same thing but he says he has been having pain off and on for a while, so I'd assumed (maybe wrongly) that it wasn't an emergency. Fingers crossed your son is ok, please let us know what happens.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Thu 08-Feb-18 19:45:17

He’s going down to surgery. sad

Puffthemagicdragongoestobed Thu 08-Feb-18 19:51:03

Sorry to hear! My son had a torsion at 11 days old. It was only diagnosed days/ weeks later as his groin was still swollen from the birth. Unfortunately they had to remove the testicle and stitch the other one in place. It felt traumatic at the time as he was still so tiny.
I have heard of men being fertile with only one testicle so I am hoping he is not affected in that department!
All the best to you and your son!

lljkk Thu 08-Feb-18 19:54:33

um, so has he got a diagnosis?

feral Thu 08-Feb-18 19:57:37

Oh no OP.

Deep breath. He's in good hands thanks

bonzo77 Thu 08-Feb-18 20:06:10

Poor kid. Hope surgery achieves what it’s meant to and he doesn’t feel too rough from
The anaesthetic.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Thu 08-Feb-18 20:42:31

Possible testicle tortion (?). They can’t be sure, could be just inflammation but only way of knowing is to open it up.

Just sat on a ward at the mo. He’s prepped but having to wait until someone comes to get us.

lljkk Thu 08-Feb-18 21:35:59

wow... DS had a mystery swelling that came & went but never got worse (wasn't torsion). Sorry your poor lad has to go thru this. Hang in there.

feral Fri 09-Feb-18 04:53:24

How is he OP?

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Fri 09-Feb-18 05:04:23

Recovering nicely on the ward thank you. He’s slept soundly (I havent!) and doing well, 👍 much happier!

diodati Fri 09-Feb-18 06:02:40

What was the problem? My ds had severe testicular pain and the diagnosis was mumps.

FrancisCrawford Fri 09-Feb-18 06:09:14

Good news - and you made the right call

Stradbroke Fri 09-Feb-18 14:35:08

Thing is they have to do surgery to check if it’s a torsion or not. No other way to tell. They did surgery on my DS but it turned out it wasn’t, but not worth the risk to do nothing.

Glad you were seen and that he’s recovering.

lljkk Fri 09-Feb-18 15:44:39

So did your son have a torsion, OP?

mommybunny Sun 11-Feb-18 14:34:50

Oh shit, my DS12 has just started complaining his right testicle is hurting. Not excruciating, and he's eating and walking ok. He says it hurts to touch. DH looked at it and didn't see anything wrong with it - no redness or swelling.

On that basis I was going to "wait and see" till tonight/tomorrow morning. If the pain increased over today I would take him to A&E, and if it was just the same tomorrow I was going to get into the GP. Sounds like I should just go to A&E now?

woosey35 Sun 11-Feb-18 23:21:57

My ds had pain like this too. It was orchitis (infection of the testicle). Came on out of the blue and had to go straight to hospital to have torsion ruled out. I didn’t realise how common this was.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: