Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Digestive issues - advice needed

(8 Posts)
Thefamilyvonstrop Mon 05-Feb-18 22:38:18

My daughter is 18 months old and she has awful, explosive & watery poos, easily upset tummy (emotional changes immediately apparent through her stomach issues), a strong fecal smell from her breath when her tummy is bad and she tends to poo at night in the warm bath no matter when she has eaten in the day.
Her early diet was very poor and she had inappropriate solids/fruit juices at a very early age - she is now a goodish eater (she tends to bolt/choke) but she is good at trying new things. She drinks a lot of milk and we are trying to ensure she doesn't overly fill up on milk.
Is there anything I can give her to help with poor digestion / runny poos and sooth a stomach that is sensitive to emotional changes?

comehomemax Tue 06-Feb-18 22:01:30

Can anyone advise?

ShovingLeopard Tue 06-Feb-18 22:13:52

Any chance she could have food intolerances? Does she suffer abdominal pain? What is her skin like? Does she have a runny nose much?

ShovingLeopard Tue 06-Feb-18 22:14:28

Also, when did all this start?

Thefamilyvonstrop Tue 06-Feb-18 22:49:38

She doesn't show any distress with her tummy but when she is stressed or upset, her tummy makes gurgling noises or you can feel her passing wind as if her stomach or bowels are cramping.
She does have a bit of a snotty nose but has only been with us for 10 weeks and has been full of cold on and off so I don't know how usual that is. Her health visitor hadn't picked up on any major issues but was aware she was fed solids like mash and milky rusks at a very early age (couple of weeks old) and that she often had tummy bugs/upset tummy.

ShovingLeopard Tue 06-Feb-18 23:31:12

Being fed inappropriately at such a young age could have caused damage to her gut lining. I believe it can make them more prone to intolerances. Having said that, my DD has loads of intolerances, so I do have a tendency to jump to that conclusion.

Sounds also as if her early experiences may have been quite stressful, and she is maybe now quite reactive to any stressful situation? If she is going into fight or flight a lot, that could be playing havoc with her bowels.

In terms of repairing an inflamed gut, the jury is still out, but many people find probiotics helpful. Also, bone broth is soothing and nutritious, but a bit of a faff to make. The only other thing I could suggest would be to keep a food diary to see if you can spot something that might set her off. You can't test for food intolerances, the only way to see if there is a problem is by doing an elimination diet and then adding foods back in gradually, to observe any reactions. Obviously, that is a bit drastic, especially for such a small child, in the absence of strong suspicions that an intolerable is in play.

Thefamilyvonstrop Wed 07-Feb-18 07:19:15

Thank you shoving much appreciated

ShovingLeopard Wed 07-Feb-18 20:16:51

YVW, hope you get to the bottom of it, and she's better v soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now