Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Molluscum contagiosum - molludab didn't work, what next?

(16 Posts)
RunningKatie Sat 03-Feb-18 21:33:25

DD has it since last June, it's spread and is now on her neck.

We've realised that what the GP diagnosed as eczema on her wrist was actually a big patch which we didn't treat first time around so this has probably caused it to spread further.

We bought the molludab at an eye-watering £20 as we were on holiday when I first read about it. Despite following the instructions religiously, it didn't work for her. Any suggestions what to try now? It's on her neck so is more obvious to others than it was before sad

Our GP said that they would do nothing unless she had it for 18 months as treatment can scar which I do understand, not sure if it's worth pushing for a molludab prescription.

WhatAPigsEar Sat 03-Feb-18 21:36:26

Get some colloidal silver and apply every evening to the affected area. It’s what finally worked on my dc after trying loads of other ‘cures’.
FYI tea tree, manuka honey, squeezing the spots etc didn’t help (the latter was v painful too)

tiredteddy Sat 03-Feb-18 21:40:00

My daughter has this too. On her stomach and it’s been about 10 months now. We haven’t as yet tried nothing in them so watching this post for ideas.

RunningKatie Sat 03-Feb-18 21:54:40

Thanks whatapigsear - never heard of collodial silver, I'll have a read up on it.

She's currently doused in tea tree oil so smells all nice and clean at least!

AveEldon Sat 03-Feb-18 22:06:28

Vit D or other vitamin supplements may help

losingmymindiam Sat 03-Feb-18 22:07:16

I'm hesitant to recommend as it could cause infection but when my son had it our doctor (in Australia) said prick each spot with a sterile pin and dab with iodine. You have to get inside the spot apparently. But be careful as the fluid is what causes it to spread. It worked.

RunningKatie Tue 06-Feb-18 21:51:44

I can't imagine her letting me do that losingmymindiam - she's not a fan on us going near any of it after the molludab. Would be amazing if it works though, the tree tea oil seems to be making the spots huge again.

losingmymindiam Wed 07-Feb-18 01:22:44

We tried apple cider vinegar, leaving them, bought medication. This is the only thing that worked and he hasn't had it since. My son had it when he was about 3. Had to get him to lie on the bed watching videos on the iPad while I poked them (on back of his legs). If you manage to do it it carefully doesn't actually hurt. Put one of those little plasters on each after so it doesn't spread. They went in a few days. Apparently the microbe that causes it is contained within the bubble of the spot and you have to get the treatment in there IYSWIM. However it could go horribly wrong so I don't advise it!

SeaToSki Wed 07-Feb-18 02:02:22

Just waited, it goes eventually

Johnnycomelately1 Wed 07-Feb-18 02:08:53

It will go by itself eventually, and that is possibly why so many things "seem" to work. However, FWIW....

DD had quite a few. In the end I squeezed a particularly big one (you need to get the waxy core out so use tweezers and then dab with an alcohol swab. That then disappeared. After I squeezed a few more, the others all flared up and disappeared, so it was as though squeezing them made her immune system recognise and attack.

For DS I went to the doctor and got the beetle juice thing done. It looks awful at the time but doesnt scar. He only had 5 though and were on his neck.

Johnnycomelately1 Wed 07-Feb-18 02:09:24

sorry- we're not in UK. If you want beetle juice thing done in UK you need to go private

LoveToHoliday Wed 07-Feb-18 19:54:51

Pull one off quickly and bin it carefully. You'd be surprised how fast they disappear after that.

JustDanceAddict Sun 11-Feb-18 20:30:24

Nothing! My two had it, DD’s was bad but the gp was right in saying it would go in 18 months & it pretty much did to the day. Sadly she has a few scars still where she had some bigguns but I expect they’ll go in time.

CAAKE Sun 11-Feb-18 20:49:51

Our DS suffered from this for over a year. We eventually figured out that the white part is the infection, so if you let DC scratch and burst the spots that's when they spread it around to the adjacent skin and other parts of their body.

We learned to watch each of the spots very carefully and when they became raised with a white sort of doughnut like head, we nicked the top with a pin and squeezed the white head out, then cleaned up the surrounding skin, applied antiseptic and a plaster until it healed. Popping it and cleaning it up immediately eventually removes the chance of re-infection. It's not a pleasant process, but if it's a persistent case that's what I'd do.

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Mon 19-Feb-18 07:43:39

Our DS had this. It will go but will take ages - 18 months.

I found t-tree oil dabbed on new spots with a q-tip at night helped them clear up quicker & dry out.

LondonLassInTheCountry Tue 20-Feb-18 22:43:57

Pick them, The immune system will recognise and attack and they will go. Just look out for infection

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now