Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Flu? How worried should I be?

(21 Posts)
outnumbered4 Fri 02-Feb-18 20:53:22

Hi all, my 3 year old has been unwell since last Saturday.
She vomited once Saturday, then again Monday night then developed a fever Tuesday morning.

Yesterday afternoon she became really unwell really high fever, looked grey and wouldn't speak. She felt so sick that she couldn't move at all, although she didn't actually vomit. Then she started to say strange things and see things that weren't there.

I took her to the hospital and they weren't able to pinpoint exactly what was wrong with her and allowed us to come home after observing her for a few hours and controlling her temperature.

On to today she woke up this morning feeling really sick again and then slept for another 3 hours. She has been awake for about 4 hours today in all just laying on the sofa watching tv she hasn't eaten but has been drinking water. She fell asleep at 3 and is still asleep now I've carried her upstairs and she hasn't even noticed and isn't waking up at all although has said no twice without opening her eyes to questions I've asked.

I feel worried again, is this flu and normal or should I be getting her seen again?

Quartz2208 Fri 02-Feb-18 20:56:54

personally i would at least ring 111 (although I would probably be trying to get her seen again)

If you cant get her to wake - does she have a high temp, fast heart rate and breathing, cold hands and feet?

outnumbered4 Fri 02-Feb-18 21:20:26

She is breathing normally, her hands and feet are really cold but they were yesterday at the hospital too so that's not a new symptom.
I tickled her foot and she moved it and she said no to a drink without opening her eyes.

I'm not sure if she is just sleeping it off and I should leave her or if she's actually getting worse.

Her temperature has gone back up but she won't wake up to take any more medicine sad

LEMtheoriginal Fri 02-Feb-18 21:23:46

Call 111

Backingvocals Fri 02-Feb-18 21:26:03

I think if you tell 111 she’s becoming unresponsive they’d tell you to go to a and e. I would. Hope all’s well OP but please get her seen.

mrsreynolds Fri 02-Feb-18 21:26:55

Call 111

Quartz2208 Fri 02-Feb-18 21:27:27

I agree I would take her it would be difficult to gauge I think without taking proper obs on her

brizzledrizzle Fri 02-Feb-18 21:29:17

If you can't wake her up then call an ambulance, that's what I was told by the gp.

rosieposey Fri 02-Feb-18 21:32:58

I would call 111 now! She sounds very poorly and I think she needs looking at again.

youngnomore Fri 02-Feb-18 21:35:17

Don’t get too stressed op. Call 111 get some advice but it’s only day 2. So its not overly long time she’s been ill. She does definitely need fluids though. If not water then something else. If she doesn’t seem to be waking then absolutely 999.

outnumbered4 Sat 03-Feb-18 03:32:57

Ok so I spoke to 111 and the dr said let her sleep and keep an eye on her which I've been doing all night. She has just had really violent watery diarrhoea all over herself and not woken up sad

I got her up to shower her and change her bedding and she has let me do that without complaining.
She is now refusing to even sip her water so has now gone over 13 hours without a drink which on top of the diarrhoea surely isn't a good thing! Although she did wee while I was showering her (and didn't realise she was doing it)

Ringing 111 again she is going to need to be seen again sad

This poor little girl! What is this awful thing she's got sad

Fluteytootey Sat 03-Feb-18 03:42:56

No advice, but I really hope it passes soon. Sounds grim!

midsummabreak Sat 03-Feb-18 03:54:08

A & E. young children become seriously dehydrated very quickly poor little darling. Hope you get help fast

Motherwell91 Sat 03-Feb-18 05:21:32

She needs to be seen pronto

sofatvsofatv Sat 03-Feb-18 07:47:26

Did you take her in?

Quartz2208 Sat 03-Feb-18 08:45:05

she sounds very dehydrated hope you took her in

outnumbered4 Sat 03-Feb-18 13:20:34

Yes, she has had some fluids and has started to pick up thank goodness. Hopefully she won't go downhill again now! Thanks all

sofatvsofatv Sat 03-Feb-18 15:36:31

Good to hear -

Mumchatting Wed 07-Feb-18 00:17:19

Hello op,,how is your daughter now?
What has the doctor diagnosed?
I hope she is well now.

outnumbered4 Wed 07-Feb-18 06:54:17

It was flu, she is much better than she was but still not 100% yet. Still very tired!

I now have it too and one of my other children sad luckily he's not as bad as she was. I on the other hand feel absolutely dreadful envy

Mumchatting Wed 07-Feb-18 13:13:45

Oh sorry to hear it, I wish you all well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now