Advanced search

Anyone gone private to have their child's dental extractions under General Anaesthetic?

(14 Posts)
opalescent Thu 01-Feb-18 21:55:50

Ds (5) needs one, possibly two teeth extracted under GA. The dentist has said that on the NHS the referral will take 4/5 months (😱). Does anyone have a rough idea of the cost involved in going private for this?

Thank you

speakout Thu 01-Feb-18 22:09:36

Does it have to be done under GA?

Lucymek Thu 01-Feb-18 22:10:42

What's wrong with gas and air confused

speakout Thu 01-Feb-18 22:13:31

Gas and air for an extraction???hmm

Lucymek Thu 01-Feb-18 22:53:26


Yes that is what I said isn't it. Problem ?

opalescent Fri 02-Feb-18 08:45:27

They tried to remove it with only local and it was awful, then they trialled ds with gas and air and felt that he was still too little and fidgety

Usernom1234567890 Fri 02-Feb-18 21:59:58

@opalescent many years working within Paediatric Dental Service & have never come across a Private GA paediatric extraction service.
In the UK, this is done either at 1) Dental Hospitals, 2) via the Community Dental Service @ Local District General Hospitals or 3) within the Specialist Children’s Hospitals like Alder Hey /GOSH.
Re inhalation Sedation with Local Anaesthesia, most experienced child dental Sedationists would advise you that 5years are generally pre-cooperative for successful treatment this way.

vjg13 Fri 02-Feb-18 22:32:53

My daughter has just had a surgical extraction under GA after being on a waiting list for 9 months! So 4/5 months really doesn't sound too bad.

Crumbs1 Fri 02-Feb-18 22:35:49

I’m not aware of any private hospitals offering practicing privileges that include paediatric dentistry.
Sedation and anaesthesia of children should be done in a specialist centre.

Octopus37 Sat 03-Feb-18 16:50:23

Where do you live? If you are anywhere near Twicjemham in Surrey, there is a private children's dental practice called Toothbeary that might be able to help. Haven't got personal experience but I remember someone else with a young child using them

BarrysnotLyons Sat 03-Feb-18 17:04:11

Yes to trying a private paediatric dentist. They will have a lot of experience dealing with situations like this.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Mon 05-Feb-18 13:42:44

Ignore crumbs, she is talking shite as usual

There are oral surgeons/max fac (essentially hospital dentists) who practice privately within NHS facilities and who will remove teeth under GA.

Do you have a local Spire/BUPA hospital? Google max fax there and contact their secretaries, they will be able to tell you if anyone there offers it or point you in the direction of someone who does

opalescent Mon 05-Feb-18 20:26:52

Thank you gobbelino, that's really helpful. I do have a local spires, but have actually been referred towards a clinic called Kensington Court in Newport. Do you happen to know anything about this place?

Gobbolinothewitchscat Wed 07-Feb-18 12:00:29

opal - sorry, just seen this. I dont but I will ask DH

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: