Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS3 head injury- is a slow recovery normal?

(16 Posts)
AFingerofFudge Fri 12-Jan-18 09:51:39

DS3 is 9, and on Sunday night he fell off a stage (just over a metre in height) onto the back of his head while messing about with friends.
He blacked out for a second or two, followed by him repeating the scariest words I've heard as a parent "I can't feel myself" over and over. A large egg appeared almost immediately on the back of his head, he was very distressed.
Took him straight to hospital, who over the course of the night checked him over thoroughly, decided to do a CT scan in case he had fractured his skull or had a bleed, thankfully that was all clear and you could just see the swelling of the egg.
So we were sent home, by the time he got home he no longer felt sick and although was very tender and sore he was quite bright.

So - my question- when we left they told us that it would take about a week for the swelling to go down. I thought that meant it would gradually go down and be gone in a week but it's showing no signs of reducing. His head is still very "wobbly" and the whole area is still tender and sore. We were told he didn't need any follow up but could go to our GP in a week if we wanted (not written on his notes),

Anyone have any experience? Does it just take a while and we need to be patient? Or should I be more concerned. I'm finding it hard to gauge as it's quite an unusual scenario. I haven't sent him back to school yet as even bending down makes it hurt.

WellThisIsShit Fri 12-Jan-18 09:54:47

Oh, I’m afraid I don’t know, but I’d probably take him to the GP for medical opinion as it does sound like it’s a slow recovery.

Also, it’s always better for a medical person to actually see it just in case you have problems later and then describing it is never as good.

AFingerofFudge Fri 12-Jan-18 10:07:43

I rang the GP's this morning but the didn't have any appointments. That's how I know it's not written in the notes as the receptionist read the report from the hospital and said " well there's no follow up advised so we can't give you an appointment " confused

BarbarianMum Fri 12-Jan-18 10:20:47

The lump and the soreness are soft tissue injuries and these can take quite a while to heal, certainly longer than a week, although I'd expect some improvement.

Does he have any neurological symptoms? Headaches, blurred vision? If he basically seems himself except with a sore lump I'd not worry personally (note, I'm not a doctor).

AFingerofFudge Fri 12-Jan-18 10:28:20

He's been complaining of a headache the last couple of days, and says that the area feels "wobbly". No sickness, just very tired but at the same time struggling to sleep. Both unusual for him but probably not unusual for a head injury?
I suppose it's the fact that it's still so painful and sore and pronounced that is worrying.

endofthelinefinally Fri 12-Jan-18 10:30:18

5 months in our case.
Concussion.

endofthelinefinally Fri 12-Jan-18 10:32:30

Why does the receptionist get to decide you cant see the gp? This really annoys me. A telephone appointment for reassurance would be reasonable IMO.

GetDownDog Fri 12-Jan-18 10:33:04

Dd had concussion and it took a full 2 months before she felt normal again.
If you're worried though you could go to minor injuries if you have one?

PeterPiperPickedSeaShells Fri 12-Jan-18 10:33:07

Unfortunately this does sound like concussion. If you google NHS Concussion & NHS post concussion syndrome you will find quite a lot of very good "safe" (proper NHS website) information

AFingerofFudge Fri 12-Jan-18 10:35:35

Thank you everyone, although not wanting anyone else to suffer, it is reassuring to hear that it can take a while to fully recover. I think I just lulled myself into a false sense of security when they said a week!

BarbarianMum Fri 12-Jan-18 10:36:28

Yes that does sound like concussion, which can take quite a while to disappear unfortunately. Second the suggestion to google NHS concussion info.

cestlavielife Fri 12-Jan-18 22:45:10

Give him ibuprofen

endofthelinefinally Sat 13-Jan-18 06:05:16

You shouldnt give ibuprofen for head injuries due to the increased risk of bleeding.
Paracetamol for headache is ok.

CandyMelts Sat 13-Jan-18 06:14:23

I've had a head injury and have been told 6-12 months for full reccovery, GPs were always saying 1/2 weeks but a neurologist was much more helpful.
The danger period is the first 1-2 days due to bleeding on the brain so he'll be on the mend now.
Hope he recovers soon x

endofthelinefinally Sat 13-Jan-18 06:22:16

Op read the nhs website on head injuries. It is very good.
I have tried to do a link but phone is not cooperating.

EasterRobin Sat 13-Jan-18 06:46:48

You could call 111 and see what they say. If they advise a GP appointment, you will find the receptionist much more willing to get you one.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: