Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is this normal after injections? *pic*

(26 Posts)
notsomumsymum Sat 16-Dec-17 18:20:31

DS had is 12 month injections on Thursday. Since then the area around his injection site has swollen and has a fist sized red area around it. Is this normal? The swelling is also fist sized and feels quite hard.

Anyone else had this?

Janetjanetjanet Sat 16-Dec-17 18:24:17

No, doesn't look normal to me.

trolleyknockers Sat 16-Dec-17 18:25:55

No this happened to my son and it was hot . We went back to the doctors and he got a course of antibiotics. His swelling was the length of his arm.

saladdays66 Sat 16-Dec-17 18:26:41

Yes, both my dc reacted like this to certain injections when very young. Give calpol and keep an eye on it.

RestingGrinchFace Sat 16-Dec-17 18:26:52

We've never had this. Get it checked just in case.

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 16-Dec-17 18:27:25

Go back to the doctor or OOH. DD2 has this and she needed antibiotics and antihistamines.

notsomumsymum Sat 16-Dec-17 18:33:13

Thanks. I’ll give 111 a call for OOH. It is quite warm to touch but he seems ok in himself. Better safe than sorry!

Timefor2 Sat 16-Dec-17 20:34:52

Never seen that here, I'm sure it's just one of those things but you are definitely doing the right thing getting it checked.

HumpHumpWhale Sat 16-Dec-17 20:38:29

Was that the leg that had the men b? It's a horrible vaccination, DD reacted so badly to every dose. Better than getting actual men b, though.

burgen Sat 16-Dec-17 20:38:35

This was my youngest after hers. She was fine a couple days later. Get it checked if you're concerned

notsomumsymum Sat 16-Dec-17 20:44:10

@burgen...that does look pretty similar to DS leg so good to know it went down quickly.
I’ve called 111 and they’ve referred us for an OOH appointment. I think the size of the swelling concerned them a bit.

ImogenHeat Sat 16-Dec-17 20:46:34

Yes, mine had this and I checked with an ex-midwife family member who said it was common.

FemaleDilbert Sat 16-Dec-17 20:47:50

The men b is a tough injection, that’s why they do it in the leg as if it swells it’s not so incapacitating as if it was in the arm.
My son reacted a bit like that, my daughter was a bit older so not so much.

The swelling took a few days to go down. We were warned it could happen.

notsomumsymum Sun 17-Dec-17 07:15:30

He’s woken up this morning covered head to toe in sick. God knows how he didn’t wake up! shock

ImogenHeat Sun 17-Dec-17 08:48:09

Poor thing! We had that as well!

burgen Sun 17-Dec-17 13:14:27

How is he now OP?

notsomumsymum Sun 17-Dec-17 13:27:43

No more sick, thankfully! The doctor said that it’s severe bruising and the sick is probably coincidental. Hopefully he’s on the mend.

notsomumsymum Sun 17-Dec-17 13:48:14

No more sick, thankfully! The doctor said that it’s severe bruising and the sick is probably coincidental. Hopefully he’s on the mend.

notsomumsymum Sun 17-Dec-17 21:23:43

Aaand we’ve just had another projectile vomit. I heard a little cough after putting him down so went to check on him....he was absolutely covered in sick - dripping down his hair, face and ears. I don’t know what to do!!

TheVanguardSix Sun 17-Dec-17 21:30:09

Although 12 months wouldn't be the right time to have a rotavirus vaccination, did your DS by any chance have that this time around?

notsomumsymum Sun 17-Dec-17 21:42:44

I don’t think he had a rotavirus, I remember him having that when he was a lot younger.
It’s just not like him at all. He’s not been sick since he was a tiny baby.

On another note...any mattress cleaning tips would be greatly appreciated!

TheVanguardSix Sun 17-Dec-17 21:52:36

Poor guy!
Baking soda for 24 hours does wonders! It really kills that vom smell.
I remember years ago, walking in to check on DD at night before I went to bed. There she was, sound asleep, covered in sick. It was grim.

Did DS have his MMR today? The rash/inflammation is common... like a minor, minor measles type rash/reaction. This is quite normal.
He could be reacting to the pneumococcal vaccination (vomitting can be a side effect).

Stroller15 Sun 17-Dec-17 21:59:39

No great advice, my boy is also struggling through the 12 month jabs here from Thursday, he had fever spikes around 39C twice last night but that's it so far.. MW kindly said watch out for the MMR side effects over Christmas (~11 days... hmm
Good luck OP and DS! wine

tampinfuminragin Sun 17-Dec-17 22:08:19

Is it the Men B jag? My son had 3 red rings around his arm for days when he got it.

notsomumsymum Sun 17-Dec-17 22:25:51

He had his Men B and his MMR. It just seems so much to put into their bodies at once, although obviously much preferable to having the actual illnesses.
Hopefully he’ll perk up a bit tomorrow. Although I might have to send DH out to get a new mattress!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: