Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Which is best for temp and sore throat?

(9 Posts)
linspins Mon 11-Dec-17 21:17:43

Calpol which has paracetamol in, or ibuprofen suspension? Is there a better medicine or doesn’t it really matter?,

lucy101101 Mon 11-Dec-17 21:20:19

I alternate them or if they are very unwell do them both! I do think though that Ibuprofen is better for inflammation so might be better for a sore/swollen throat. I'm not a Dr, I have just observed this with my own children (lots of illness, febrile convulsions, repeated tonsillitis etc.)

MissConductUS Mon 11-Dec-17 21:22:03

I would go with the ibuprofen suspension. It just always seemed to work better for my kids.

Bobbinsandthread Mon 11-Dec-17 21:23:07

Alternating the 2 so you have a dose of something every 2 hours (as long as within the maximum 24 hour dose) if you see what I mean.

Migraleve Mon 11-Dec-17 21:25:20

I use paracetamol as my go to as i know ibuprofen can irritate the stomach in adults, I know the child suspension is different but in the back of my mind it's a consideration. If DC is really bad I will alternate them every couple of hours, but I try to avoid that where possible.

AnnieOH1 Mon 11-Dec-17 21:30:33

Give alternate doses of the two, ibuprofen works faster according to recent studies. Ice poles, the silicon forehead fever patches and keeping fluids up are some of the ways I've dealt with fevers in my kids.

Using a proper thermometer and keeping track of temps and dosage times will help you no end. Sometimes you can feel hot but not have a temperature.

Also ORS lemon tablets (look like berocca) are a lot easier for kids to take than other rehydration products.

linspins Mon 11-Dec-17 22:27:37

Thanks everyone. I’ve given her some ibuprofen and she’s all tucked up now asleep. I’m hoping this burns itself out quickly as dd is in a Xmas show, the dress rehearsal is Wednesday then she’s performing every other day all holidays! No school tomorrow I think, just rest and fluids.

Rainbowandraindrops67 Wed 13-Dec-17 20:26:28

Ibuprofen works better but it can be hard on the little ones kidneys to process it so don’t use too often!

nocoolnamesleft Thu 14-Dec-17 03:16:17

Difflam spray is awesome for sore throats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now