Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Strange baby poo

(6 Posts)
Lifewithliv18 Thu 07-Dec-17 14:09:37

Just changed DDs nappy and her poo looked different than usual. It was seedy and mucousy and although still yellow was darker than usual, almost greenish. Usually it is very runny, almost watery (she is breastfed) and a yellow mustard colour. She is 16 weeks so is only on breastmilk. Have not changed my diet at all and her poo has been very consistent since the early weeks. She has also been more fussy than usual today and has become more unsettled in the evening when going to sleep, ie waking up suddenly and moaning like she’s in pain when she’s almost asleep. I know I’m probably worrying over nothing but I can’t help being a paranoid ftm! She has recently been feeding less than usual from around 10 to just 5-6 feeds a day and having fuller feeds at these times so I don’t know if that makes a difference? Had anyone else noticed this happen with their lo? And was it illness related or just due to them growing and changing? Very concerned!

BelfastSmile Thu 07-Dec-17 14:15:12

Probably best to phone your Health Visitor for reassurance, but as a one-off I wouldn't be too concerned.

She may be fighting off a cold, or starting to teethe or something like that.

But ring your HV and they'll make sure all is ok.

Oly5 Thu 07-Dec-17 14:19:42

My 4 week old has had green poo on and off since birth. Both the midwife and GP have said not to worry and keep feeding. They said it’s rarely anything to worry about, especially if it goes back to
Yellow from time to time

Lifewithliv18 Thu 07-Dec-17 14:20:08

Yes I think I will just to be safe! Ooh she did start teething last weekend but didn’t realise that could affect? Interesting.

Lifewithliv18 Thu 07-Dec-17 14:20:45

Thank you, I hope this is the case!

BelfastSmile Thu 07-Dec-17 15:07:20

It's something to do with excess saliva, I think... makes them digest food faster or slower or something. That leads to green nappies.

#science

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: