Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken pox - preventing scarring

(11 Posts)
cleanandtidyhouse Thu 07-Dec-17 13:36:19

What do people recommend once the spots have scabbed over? My son is covered in big scabs. Do I let them dry up and fall off or do I keep them moist with poxclin or virasoothe or something else? Very worried about scarring as he has them all over his face.

Boredomismyenemy Thu 07-Dec-17 13:54:50

I don't know what is recommended but my DD found the scab stage itchy so I continued with poxclin to soothe the itch. She had a terrible case of chicken pox and unfortunately has been left with scarring to her face, however over the past month I've noticed a dramatic improvement in the appearance of the scars so they do heal with time.

RandomUsernameHere Thu 07-Dec-17 13:59:31

I used virasoothe and I continued to use it once a day I think even after the scabs had formed. I figured if they got too dry they would itch more. Neither DD nor DS has any scars at all, and DS had it really badly on his face. We may just have been lucky though, not sure if that's definitely the best thing to do. Hope your son is better soon.

Missmiller Thu 07-Dec-17 15:49:08

I wish I’d used calamine lotion as per my mum one. I have no scars. My daughter I used poxclin, it was rubbish and she has qiluite a lot of scars although they have faded significantly over 3 years. I suspect calamine dries them out and shrinks them

Missmiller Thu 07-Dec-17 15:49:27

*My mum on me

cleanandtidyhouse Thu 07-Dec-17 20:33:26

Cheers guys. It seems there's no hard and fast rule. I nipped into town and asked a pharmacist this afternoon and she wasn't sure either!

Think I'll keep using virasoothe a couple of times a day, just to stop him scratching.

Fingers crossed they all disappear.

Flicketyflack Thu 07-Dec-17 20:36:06

Lavender oil not calamine (which is very drying!) 😉

ElphabaTheGreen Thu 07-Dec-17 20:39:13

Both of mine were covered in massive scabs from head to toe and the only scar left between them is one on DS1's back. He's 5yo and had it when he was 10mo. Scar-free DS2 is three and had it earlier this year.

ElphabaTheGreen Thu 07-Dec-17 20:40:42

Oh, and I did nothing special, BTW. Piriton at night is definitely the best way to keep the itch at bay. I think I only bothered with poxclin for a night or two because I didn't think it was making a bit of difference.

Witchend Fri 08-Dec-17 08:50:00

Ditto Elphaba.
Dd2 and ds were absolutely covered in huge scabs. The only scar dd2 has left is a small dent just above one of her eyebrows. Ds has no scars.
I otoh have several.

I suspect it's luck of the draw.

Madlizzy Fri 08-Dec-17 09:06:20

lavender essential oil, 8 drops in the bath twice a day. I had no scarring after my second bout of the pox.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now