Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

To take a day off or not

(8 Posts)
upsydaisies Wed 06-Dec-17 20:21:24

Good evening,

My OH and I are debating if I need to take a day off work tomorrow (he can’t because he has to host a meeting in Birmingham that has been planned for ages).

The situation is our DS (2) was taken to hospital on Monday night with breathing difficulties that turned out to be a bad case of croup. He’s had a couple of doses of steroids and didn’t have to stay more than the night. At the moment though he has the worst cold he’s ever had and still has stridor at night with a wheeze in the day. I was home Tuesday with him and OH was home today with him whilst I was at school (as a teacher).

He usually goes to a childminder on a Thursday and the hospital said as long as he’s ok in himself he’s completely fine to go to the childminder and be around other kids. I feel bad taking him though because he’s still poorly and really only picks up a bit when the calpol kicks in and that’s only temporary as he’s going from alternate dose to alternate dose (the dr said to just keep him taking both paracetamol and ibuprofen for as long as he needs). I’m worried that a) he’s poorly and it’s not nice to be away from home when you’re ill b) she’ll turn us away at he door and I have to call in sick by 7am if I’m to have the day off so that’ll be too late. C) I don’t want to make other kids ill (even though the dr said he’ll be fine and not give them anything because it’s after the three days so won’t be contagious).

Should I risk taking him and either she’ll call me at school and I’ll have to leave and get him or he might be fine till 3.30. Or should I not go to work at all and I can let them know tonight.

I’m actually only on four lessons tomorrow as I have a PPA and I can set reading for two lessons. The other two classes are planned and ready because it’s the second part of a lesson so feasible that the classes won’t be any hassle.

I hate taking time off but I worry it’s one of those times when I have to just say tough I’m not leaving the house. My OH will stay home Friday anyway so it’s literally one day.

MrsBadger Wed 06-Dec-17 20:22:58

Stay home. The state he's in the CM won't thank you even if he's not infectious.

MaidenMotherCrone Wed 06-Dec-17 20:36:32

He's 2, he's poorly, look after him.

DrRanjsRightEyebrow Wed 06-Dec-17 20:37:58

stay at home with him.

upsydaisies Wed 06-Dec-17 20:38:12

I was thinking that @MrsBadger. As a teacher I don’t mind the snotty kids but I imagine as a one on one it would be gross

Crazylou Wed 06-Dec-17 20:40:36

Stay at home, been in this situation and I thought my little one would be ok for one day in nursery and he wasn't rather unsettled and I felt really guilty as he got worse, other kids could still easily pick it up I've had to take weeks of work at a time due to my little one being so poorly hospital admissions etc so now I've went part time due to underlying medical conditions and took him out nursery all together, day 3 they said he would improve but deteriorated so quick he needed oxygen etc,

upsydaisies Wed 06-Dec-17 20:50:15

@Crazylou aw no you’re poor baby. I’d feel guilty. I wasn’t too worried today because his dad was off and home with him but having him at the CM will be torture. Friday I will be at work 100% because OH is here again. He just can’t miss work tomorrow and we can’t ask anyone else.

upsydaisies Wed 06-Dec-17 21:41:45

Ok so my OH has said he is going to try and video conference the meeting as his partner has said he can handle most of it as long as he’s there in some capacity (don’t think he fancies the five hour drive anyway because he wouldn’t get the train in case we had a repeat of Monday at the hospital).

This throws another dimension in. I could go to work. We’ve decided definitely not going to the CM so that’s a none issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now