Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

When do I start worrying about DS's illness?

(12 Posts)
rosettesforjill Wed 06-Dec-17 18:02:01

My 3-year-old DS has been ill for over a week and really isn't himself at all. He doesn't have a temperature (he did at the start of the illness) but is ever so lethargic and clingy and is refusing most food sad I have managed to persuade him to eat a bowl of blueberries and two cocktail sausages, but other than that he's only had half a crumpet and some toast and cereal for breakfast today.

He did eat at preschool yesterday but I'm worried that he's going to starve! He won't even eat a biscuit or a chocolate from his advent calendar. This has been going on since he first came down with whatever this is last Tuesday.

No other obvious symptoms other than a cough, which doesn't sound any worse than any standard cold. Just a bit down in the dumps but jabbering away happily when he spots something interesting. Keeps telling me emphatically that he doesn't feel poorly 🙄

Do I need to try to force more food down him? Do I take him to the GP?

elliejjtiny Wed 06-Dec-17 18:36:04

I doubt very much that he will starve as long as he wasn't severely underweight before he was ill. It sounds like a virus or cold to me that needs to run its course but call the health visitor if you are worried, he/she will be able to reassure you.

PotteringAlong Wed 06-Dec-17 18:39:29

He’s not going to starve!

Today he’s had toast, cereal, blueberries, a couple of cocktail sausages and a crumpet. It’s hardly nothing at all.

WaitingForSunday17 Wed 06-Dec-17 18:40:41

That's about what my toddler eats on an ordinary day...

QuilliamCakespeare Wed 06-Dec-17 18:41:36

My DS ate nothing but the odd handful of Shreddies for almost a week recently when he was ill. Keep the fluids up (including milk if he'll drink it) and don't stress.

slimyslitheryslug Wed 06-Dec-17 18:43:42

The "back to health" diet for our DC is an iced lolly and a bag of quavers or a jelly. The lolly numbs their mouth & throat and a bit of sugar sparks them back into life. The quavers or jelly reinforce this and, suddenly, they are able to eat a cheese sandwich & back to full recovery.

rosettesforjill Wed 06-Dec-17 18:50:27

Thank you for the reassurance - he has demanded several more sausages, another bowl of blueberries and is now tucking into a huge banana... now more worried that the cocktail sausages are setting a precedent for future terrible dinners!

JacquelineChan Wed 06-Dec-17 18:52:41

My ds was the same when he had slapped cheek syndrome. Fully recovered. Don't worry

Wolfiefan Wed 06-Dec-17 18:53:47

Do make sure he stays hydrated though.

rosettesforjill Wed 06-Dec-17 19:48:50

He's been drinking fine thankfully and has now perked up significantly (just in time for bed!)

Helloisitmeoryou Wed 06-Dec-17 19:55:20

My 3 year old has been the same. Been sent home from preschool twice for being clingy and cuddly and not wanting to play. She's even turned down chocolate, cake and biscuits and just had a few nibbles of bits and pieces. 8 days later and I think we've turned a corner! 3 meals eaten today and much brighter.

Wolfiefan Wed 06-Dec-17 20:02:19

Typical!
Hope he's better soon.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: