Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What's this rash?

(12 Posts)
AnonEvent Wed 06-Dec-17 07:49:59

Hiya, DD is 14 months old.

She has woken up with a rash (it blanches under a glass).

She had her MMR last Monday (9 days ago) - could it be the measles element?

She has a mild temperature - 37.2 ish. Has been given Calpol.

She is grumpy as all living hell.

She has a cold.

It's on her stomach and back mainly, a bit on her arms.

What should my next steps be?

Pririton?
Doctor?

AnonEvent Wed 06-Dec-17 07:51:50

I should add: she's weeing and pooing normally. And there is HF&M going around her nursery (but the rash isn't in her HForM).

Partyfops Wed 06-Dec-17 07:56:16

Heat rash
Eczema?

TheColdDoesBotherMeAnyway Wed 06-Dec-17 07:59:05

The timing is classic for an MMR reaction. I would give calpol and/or ibuprofen and keep a close eye on her. If it is the MMR the reaction usually lasts 24 hours or so

AnonEvent Wed 06-Dec-17 07:59:35

Could be either!

She is warm and slept in our bed last night (due to grumpiness) so could've got too warm. She's also a bit eczema-y in general, though that's usually little dry patches.

AnonEvent Wed 06-Dec-17 08:02:53

Ah TheCold I thought MMR symptoms were primarily in the first week. Just googled and you're entirely right 7-12 days is standard. Could be that!

TheColdDoesBotherMeAnyway Wed 06-Dec-17 08:05:48

Watch out for a mumps type reaction in another 2 weeks or so as well

XmasInTintagel Wed 06-Dec-17 08:06:31

My DS seemed to have similar rashes an awful lot, due to being too warm. Worth keeping an eye on it to see if it gets any worse, but it may well disappear quickly.

AnonEvent Wed 06-Dec-17 08:07:01

That sounds a treat TheCold thanks for the tip. Mind you it'll probably just meld into the general nursery related diseases she's harbouring.

AnonEvent Wed 06-Dec-17 08:29:11

I'm erring m towards heat rash now Tintagel - it is primarily on her sleeping side, and we managed to coax her into a sleeping bag for the first time in six months last night.

Maybe that + being a bit dry skinned and eczema-y + MMR symptoms (+ a cold and teething to make it all a bit worse).

Poor old baby!

teaortequila23 Wed 06-Dec-17 08:38:43

My dd woke up hot and then I stripped her down and put her back to bed the next morning she woke up with a full rash over her entire body I thought it was a heat rash left her for a day then the next day she woke up looking totally different in the face took her to the Gp she has scarlet fever. She’s on a week worth of antibiotics and has to stay off Nursery. She’s not got fair skin so the rash wasn’t red which is why I didn’t go to the doctors the same day but I would defo go Gp to have a check.
Good luck

AnonEvent Wed 06-Dec-17 08:49:46

Your poor old DD, I had scarlet fever when I was 17, I still remember how rancid I felt.

Did it get continuously worse from when it started tea? I've left DH with DD today and the current thinking is:

1. Keep her off nursery
2. Have a gentle day with easy to eat food and plenty of water - keeping an eye on her temperature
3. If she seems to be bothered by the rash, give her some Piriton
4. If it gets worse call the doc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now