Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby development

(5 Posts)
RMN92 Tue 05-Dec-17 21:52:38

Hi all smile

So I’m a first time mum to a 7 month old boy, unfortunately we found out when I was 32 weeks he has quite severe brain abnormalities. We were advised it will delay his development and will more than likely have some form of learning difficulty.

My issue is no one seems to be giving us any sort of steps to take to try and help him now before things get too bad

He is a big boy to say the least but at 7 months he still hasn’t rolled over (which I know some babies don’t) and he has only just started the hand to mouth and putting things in his mouth stage.

He’s quite obviously a few months behind but I’m just looking for any advice or anything really! I can give termilogical names for what he has if needed.

Thank you all smile

Rainbowandraindrops67 Tue 05-Dec-17 23:26:55

I would start with your health visitor and gp and ask about referrals

BackforGood Tue 05-Dec-17 23:36:21

Ask your HV what is available in your area in terms of Visiting Teacher Service / Early Support / Portage - everywhere in the country have different set ups and different systems, and names for those systems, but everyone should have some support, however overstretched it is.

NCforIS Wed 06-Dec-17 21:32:14

Have you seen a paediatrician? Your community paediatrician is the key to unlocking all of those services. You need OT, physio and SEN local authority teachers to support his learning. Don't be fobbed off. Demand a referral.

DoItAgainBob Wed 06-Dec-17 23:31:21

Agree with starting with your HV but he should already be under the peads and having reviews with them. They would probably be my starting point and should monitor growth and development, referring for early intervention if necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now