Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

To be so worried about DS? World falling apart

(69 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

beggingbehind Tue 05-Dec-17 13:13:49

Sorry posting for traffic and don't know what to do.
Only days ago I was posting and worrying about a health problem of my self I feel so guilty.
DS 1 is 17 and has been experiencing stabbing pain under his left rib (know now its where his spleen is) been going on for ages it started to become un bearable so he finally admitted a GP visit was in order. TO give background to this Me and him have MH issues so going to the doctor is a massive anxiety point for him (and me). The GP thought it was either reflux but more likely an enlarged spleen all good so far we could cope with this. But she asked if he had any other symptoms anything atall he said; itchiness, tiredness and frequent urination. She checked his lymph nodes in neck, armpit and groin and said the ones in his neck were swollen. So sent him for bloods to check for infection- the GP also presicrbed some broad spectrum antibiotics. A couple days latter we were told to come back to discuss the results and were told that some of the liver enzymes were high- indicates a enlarged spleen. But said there was no sign of infection, so they're sending him for an urgent ultrasound scan within two weeks for a look to do a biopsy. I got worried at this point and asked what it could be the GP said it could be lymphoma and it needed ruling out. I froze at this point. I dont know what to do know, theres so many questions i should have asked same with DS. HEs a strong lad but when we got into the car we sat in silence for a minute and then he just cried. Hes in pain most nights its horrible Ive said if the pain gets to bad one night im taking him to a&e. I have 4 other DC at home and i dont know what to tell them, DH is saying dont worry it wont be cancer but what if it is.
Im so soory to ramble I just had to put it somewhere any advice is greatly received.

beggingbehind Tue 05-Dec-17 13:28:30

Anyone at all? Sorry to moan

SoftlyCatchyMonkey1 Tue 05-Dec-17 13:32:40

The thing is until you have the diagnostic tests there is no point in worrying yourself. The GP said lymphoma needs ruling out, which is not the same as having lymphoma.
Sorry - I know things like this can be horrible...I've had a few scares myself.

Wakemeuuuup Tue 05-Dec-17 13:33:12

I have no advice but I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm sure your Dh is right and it won't be cancer but that doesn't stop you worrying.

I hope it all works out

Armadillostoes Tue 05-Dec-17 13:33:44

Hi OP-I didn't want to read and run. This must be incredibly scary for you. Easier said than done I know, but try and focus on the fact that statistically it is very unlikely to be the worst case scenario. Wishing you and your DS the best possible outcome.

Rebeccaslicker Tue 05-Dec-17 13:34:43

Waiting for test results is the worst thing in the world. Fingers tightly crossed that it's nothing. In the meantime flowerswinegin

AnyFucker Tue 05-Dec-17 13:35:34

You are not moaning, you sound understandably worried. Not knowing is the worst bit. It sounds like the docs are doing a thorough job of investigating your son's problems and they are compelled to disclose what it could be. There could still be a less worrying outcome so try to hold onto that until you know for sure. One thing is certain....making yourself ill with worry will help no one. Be strong and positive for your boy flowers

beggingbehind Tue 05-Dec-17 13:37:28

Thank you for your kind words. I know theres no point in worrying until we know but i cant help it! Its my boy. Its how the GP didnt say about alternatives and the 2 week appointment wait. This waiting is awful

mumontherun14 Tue 05-Dec-17 13:38:03

Sorry to hear that it must be really worrying for you. I don't have any experience at all but didn't want to read and run. If you still have lots of questions maybe make another appointment and go back to the GP it can sometimes be too much to take in when you get news like that. What about a referral to a specialist or another opinion from another GP? I really hope he is ok and hopefully his antibiotics will kick in soon and that will help him. Hopefully it might just be an infection they can treat. Sending a big hug to both of you xxx

user1488397844 Tue 05-Dec-17 13:39:33

I think you should calm down. You don't know for definite that its anything sinister & you need to wait for the results. Also you need to remain positive and upbeat for your son he is going to want to lean on you and need support over the next few weeks. Worst case scenario and it is cancer, you will get through it together but right now he needs his mum to tell him it's going to be okay, which of course it is. Cry on your own & worry but you must put on a brave face and be rational. Perhaps ir would be helpful to write down some questions together and ask them at the next appointment so you dont forget anything. Best of luck to you both & im sure there will be plenty of people along to give great advice.

beggingbehind Tue 05-Dec-17 13:40:04

They took him of the antibiotics as blood tests revelled it wasn't an infection unfortunately.

HarHer Tue 05-Dec-17 13:40:32


Although this is very worrying for you, you have both done the right thing. You have gone to the GP and your GP is arranging for all the necessary tests. I am glad the ultrasound is going to be done as a matter of urgency because you will not have additional time to wait and for your anxiety to increase.

You are being incredibly strong for your DS and your other children and your DS is also being strong. Has your doctor advised about pain relief for your son?

Stumbleine Tue 05-Dec-17 13:45:27

Hi op. I’m so sorry you are going through this awfully anxious time. I just wanted to relay my own story so as to show you that it isn’t always the most sinister outcome...

My dd (12) started to feel very unwell over the summer. She had severe headaches, vomiting, weight loss and several enlarged lymph nodes. She was admitted to hospital and they ran bloods did scans etc. They were ruling out leaukemia, lymphoma and god know what other nasties. It turned out he she was suffering with glandular fever!

Your post struck a chord as both raised liver enzymes AND spleen enlargement can be caused by glandular fever. [Disclaimer - I am NOT a medic by any stretch]. We had a terrible time worrying and I’m sure nothing will stop you from worrying until you have those answers. Wishing you all the best flowers

IamtheOrpheliac Tue 05-Dec-17 13:46:13

Didn't want to read and run.

It sounds like a horrible time, for your poor DS and you for that matter! It's good that the GP is getting the tests done to rule Lymphoma out and your DH is right, that is unlikely. At the moment, the best thing you can do is keep yourself and your DS as distracted as possible. Easier said than done, I know. I would say it's probably best just to tell your other DCs that their brother isn't well and not go into it any more than that until you have some answers.

beggingbehind Tue 05-Dec-17 13:46:50

They just said parcetmol and ibroprofen which isnt helping, heat helps a bit so lots of hot bath! We are just trying to get on as normal really we had a family night last night had normal dinner they all went to bed normal time and know they are at school and DH is at work know im by myself (DS1 in school for afternoon on proviso i come pick him up if he feels more unwell than he already does) and just thinking of everything im trying to stay calm and just wanted some mumsnet worls of wisdom to help.

CheeriosEverywhere Tue 05-Dec-17 13:47:17

OP, you've posted many times about illnesses you suspect in yourself and your children. Do you think maybe its time to seek serious help for your health anxiety?

FireCracker2 Tue 05-Dec-17 13:47:19

It is horrible waiting! But I would be surprised at a 2 weeks weight if he strongly suspects lymphoma rather than it being an outside possibility.

FireCracker2 Tue 05-Dec-17 13:49:05

wait not weight!

poooooooop Tue 05-Dec-17 13:50:36

It's really shit that you have to wait up to 2 weeks! If you went to a&e do you think they'd send him in for an emergency one?

beggingbehind Tue 05-Dec-17 13:50:38

I have got suport, i dont have health anxiety as i have children with complex health issues so they often get ill a combination of this and my (and DS's) MH issues creates a bigger picture iyswim. especially as we dont like going to the doctor!

kateandme Tue 05-Dec-17 13:51:25

worrying is the replacement for answers.its fills the gap of uncertainty.unfortunetily not in a helpful need to try and keep your rational head under control.let it give you the answers you need right now to remain calm.what do you know?what can you do?think practically and very black and white for a minute. because you don't know its cancer you don't know it an infection or other with the same symstoms.all you do know is that you have been to the docs andand that is a brave and good thing.well done.your now sorting this.treatment has begun right now so that is another good cannot speed it up nor make anything better or worse or change it.
sp you need to keep that fretting world of your kept calm.
your a parent you are not odd in worrying or alone in second guessing right now.
with your mental health issue remember to ur mind will be doing ten million times more guessing,worrying and thinking of the bad things compared to others.
so you need to work a little harder putting more rational thoughts in place.and you can do are in control.everything ur doing right now Is the right things.
you can do him.keep him calm.listen.ask him if he need to talk absolutely anything through. play games.get a take out and just say we're going to chill tonight.tell him you will fight this together.that what is happening in his body is happening but there is never a moment you wont fight whatever or find a way to help eacohter be the best you can be.whatever it is you've got eacohter.
there is no guilt or blame.
stop even thinking why did you go sooner etc.if that starts to come.becasye you have done exactly what you could do at any given time.and here we are.
you love eacohter clearly.
you can do this.
thousands of us on here ready to fight with you too hun.xx

MagpiesNUFC Tue 05-Dec-17 14:00:06

I was also thinking of glandular fever - any recent sore throats?

another20 Tue 05-Dec-17 14:03:25

It is shocking being in a state of uncertainty - but this is an important opportunity to teach your DS resilience, by modelling calmness.

Also you might need to manage expectations around timescales - so scan maybe in 2 weeks - is biopsy done at the same time - or is this scheduled after - when are the results back to your GP? Person doing ultrasound will not be diagnosing there and then - biopsy results might be weeks - might then be referred to a liver specialist etc.

WillNotBeBulliedAnymore Tue 05-Dec-17 14:11:37

OP I completely understand your worry. I had a severely enlarged spleen and it did turn out to be Non Hodgkin Lymphoma. This is scary I know. But try and hold on to the fact that although a cancer diagnosis makes you feel as though the bottom has dropped out of your world - these days it is by no means a death sentence.

I had my spleen removed and folow up treatment - 7 years on and I am doing fine.

If cancer is suspected, the guidelines say your son must be seen within 2 weeks. Don't be fobbed off (NHS doctors and nurses are mostly great - admin not so much) chase everything the minute it is due.

If you want to PM me at any time please do and I will be happy to offer you any information I have.

Good luck

user1495362060 Tue 05-Dec-17 14:28:08

Oh God, don’t wait. If it’s lymphoma it needs urgent treatment. Go to A&E. Today. Say pain is unbearable. Come on.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: