Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

BIG baby!

(8 Posts)
Mumstheword44 Tue 05-Dec-17 07:27:31

My DD is just 4 months + 3 weeks and she weighs 19lb. Should I be worried? She was a 9lb baby when she arrived, so she's never been dinky! People assume me over feed her but she's having the required amount in 24hr.

PotteringAlong Tue 05-Dec-17 07:31:44

What cebtile was she born on and what is she now?

LoniceraJaponica Tue 05-Dec-17 07:34:21

Wow. DD was tiny, and weighed that at 12 months.

coursedarlin Tue 05-Dec-17 07:40:26

My ds is same age (born 15/07) and weighs 19lb too. He was 8.15 when he was born. Health visitor is happy he is following a curve, albeit the 99 centile curve. As long as they are following the curve and there are no major spikes up or down on the weight charts the health visitor is happy so I can only go by their advice.

ImAMarshmellow Tue 05-Dec-17 08:09:26

Ds only reached 19lb at about 13/14 months. He's tiny tho grin.

As long as they track the same curve and don't plummet or go up to much there isn't too much to worry about. You may find as she becomes more active she will drop a centile or 2.

Try not to get hung up on her being 'big', just feed on demand

Doilooklikeatourist Tue 05-Dec-17 08:14:44

My children are grown up now , but back in the old days (1990s ) I was told ...

Double their birth weight by 4 months , treble their birth weight by a year

Both mine did that ( in fact DS weighed a pound heavier when he was one year old , than when he was 2 )

Sounds fine to me

They’re both in their 20s now, luckily they don’t continue to grow at that rate !

friendlessme Tue 05-Dec-17 08:15:28

I had massive babies - 11 pounds and 10 and a half at birth. They were on the 99.6th centile until they were about 18months so very fat (but very cute) and very hungry babies. Now they are lean,active and healthy 12 and 10 year olds, no fat on them whatsoever! Don’t worry and just feed on demand. Babies know how much they need!

fruitofthenight Tue 05-Dec-17 08:23:09

My ds was 21lb at 4 months old, the health visitor didn't seem too bothered. He's now on the 99th centile for weight and off the charts for height

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now