Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Eczema?

(11 Posts)
Cantthinkofagood1 Thu 30-Nov-17 19:21:17

Does this look like eczema? My 5 yr old daughter woke up with a rash on her neck which she said hurt and was itchy. I took her to the doctors and he said it looked like eczema. She’s never had any eczema before but she does suffer a lot from cold sores. I though it looked like the beginning of a huge cold sore. I’ve been putting hydrocortisone cream on, which the dr prescribed, for 3 days but I’ve just googled (silly idea I know!) and seen something called eczema herpeticum which is caused by the herpes virus and needs to be treated with anti virals as it can spread.

I’ve attached pic of rash. Does it look like eczema (to those who know) or I should I got back to the Drs and ask him to check it’s not this other thing that would need anti virals?

justtheonethen Thu 30-Nov-17 19:26:56

I get eczema and I don't think that looks like it. It definitely looks more like a shingles rash so could be something that needs anti virals.

I'm not medical though! Would go back definitely.

Wolfiefan Thu 30-Nov-17 19:29:09

Doesn't look like eczema to me but I'm not a doctor. If it is eczema it would improve with hydrocortisone. Is it?
Looks infected if it's eczema.
Impetigo?

Cantthinkofagood1 Thu 30-Nov-17 19:39:52

No it’s not improving but i don’t know how long the cream should take to work? I’ve only got 1 other pic taken when she first showed me. It had already gone a lot redder by the time we got to the docs.

justtheonethen Thu 30-Nov-17 21:44:27

If it was eczema I would expect an improvement by now. Get her seen again. Looks sore poor love.

Wolfiefan Thu 30-Nov-17 22:07:07

I agree it looks a lot worse. And hydrocortisone should start to make a difference in a day or two. I would get back to the GP ASAP.

PurplePillowCase Thu 30-Nov-17 22:10:49

has she got asthma?
just asking as scratching my neck is my first symptom of an attack.

chaplin1409 Thu 30-Nov-17 22:11:49

My daughter suffers from eczema and it doesn't look anything like that.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 30-Nov-17 22:12:54

I'd look into impetigo as well. Poor thing.

Cantthinkofagood1 Thu 30-Nov-17 22:22:01

Thanks for the responses. I did mention impetigo to the doc but he thought not- he did say to go back though if it spread. It hasn’t really spread, just gone redder/crusty and she’s not been that bothered by it despite it looking so awful. Think I’ll def take her back in the morning then thanks.

Cantthinkofagood1 Thu 30-Nov-17 22:23:15

Oh and no she doesn’t have asthma either purplepillowcase

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now