Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

School eye test been referred

(14 Posts)
Alphvet Thu 30-Nov-17 16:44:30

My son has had his eye test at school today. The one they do in reception. I’ve not noticed any issues, he’s reading fine and not noticed anything to do with his distance vision but they have noticed something and he has been referred. Does anyone have any idea about what kind of things they are looking for?

Lovely22 Thu 30-Nov-17 16:46:18

My daughter also had that, I never noticed any problems either, She went to the hospital for another eye exam and was fine. No need for glasses or anything.

dementedpixie Thu 30-Nov-17 16:53:43

They'll do a proper test and check for sight issues e.g. short/ long sight and whether they need glasses

Hs2Issue Thu 30-Nov-17 17:03:42

Dd was referred and had to have drops in her eyes (which stung) and was diagnosed with long-sightedness and astigmatism (not a surprise as DH also has this). She had been for previous sight tests but it hadn’t been picked up there.

CannotEvenThink Thu 30-Nov-17 17:06:33

The school one is basically a screening test where they look for potential things and then send them for a full eye test. So that means that not all children who get sent for a full eye test will need glasses. It certainly isn't anything to worry about. Children are really, really good at compensating though so it is common to not have noticed anything and have a child who does in fact need glasses. My ds1 has terrible vision but I never noticed anything and it was the school screening that picked it up. Oops!

Alphvet Thu 30-Nov-17 17:36:18

I am panicking as my husbamd has issues with his optic nerve but we took my son as a Baby and the hospital looked in his eyes and said that they didn’t believe he had that issue as it would be obvious at bury. But I’m panicking incase they missed something and it’s something that cannot be corrected

dementedpixie Thu 30-Nov-17 17:38:24

No point panicking. My dd has had glasses since 18 months old due to long sight. Still have them now age 14

user1490395938 Sat 09-Dec-17 11:30:43

Hello, I have had the same. My DS in reception had an eye test in school 1 weeks ago and today we received a letter with an appointment at the hospital pediatric ophthalmology department. Bit worried!!!

user1490395938 Sat 09-Dec-17 11:31:29

2 weeks ago it should have said sorry

TaggieOHara Sun 10-Dec-17 18:00:27

We had this. Turns our DS2 was a bit tired during the initial test, so didn't focus properly. He was fine at the hospital appointment, when they re-did the test.

Missythecat Sun 10-Dec-17 18:03:53

I had this. A weak left eye. Total bullshit. Had a screening exam at opticians and perfect eyesight

HeyRoly Sun 10-Dec-17 18:04:56

It's a very conservative test and lots of children will be referred and won't need glasses. My DD being one of them!

NotPennysBoat Sun 10-Dec-17 18:06:42

Same story here, referred from School but no problems found at follow up. It's just a very quick test at school and may also have been reliant on dc recognising their letters accurately. Try not to worry!

TinselAngel Sun 10-Dec-17 18:10:11

This happened when my daughter had an eye test at school. It turned out she had a "lazy eye" ie she was virtually blind in one eye.

I had no idea as she had been compensating by just using the good one. Apparently the brain sometimes doesn't realise you've got two eyes so only develops a connection to one of them.

She had to wear an eye patch over her good eye for a certain amount of time each day to encourage the other eye to "wake up". She's 13 now and still wears glasses. The weak eye is not brilliant but is much better than it was.

I remember the optician at the hospital saying if it hadn't have been caught before she was 7 it would have been too late. So I'm really glad she had that eye test at school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now