Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Really sick 2 year old

(17 Posts)
letsstickmyhandinthere Wed 29-Nov-17 16:12:17

I've posted on chat too

My DD has been ill for the last 3 weeks, a persistent cough and on and off fever. I've managed to control it over the last 2 weeks no problems but on Sunday night she spiked to 40.1°c with uncontrollable shaking. I phoned NHS 111 and waited for a call back from an out of hours doctor. She called and said she's got a viral bug and as long as she's drinking fluids she's fine. Only to go a&e or dialling 999 if she has a fit from the fever and to go to Gp first thing in the morning!
So we went to the Gp on Monday morning where he checked her chest ,ears and throat and said again it's viral she will be fine, by this point she was reading 35.4 when he took her temperature. That night again her temperature spiked to 40 and the shaking was back so again I gave her meds and sat with her until the shaking stopped (takes about 10 mins). She went straight back to sleep after.
This has been happening every day so far until yesterday she had freezing cold hands and feet with blueish legs on top of the fevery and shaking. She was still stone cold today but not with blue legs.
I took my ds to the doctors for croup this morning and saw a different Gp who said her temperature should be going by now an if she stays hot to take her to the Gp later in the week... she's basically sat on the floor all afternoon and fell asleep sitting up.

Im at a complete loss as what to do, has anyone had anything similar happen to thier little ones?
I'm taking her to a&e if she spikes again later tonight

MaximumVolume Wed 29-Nov-17 22:06:09

I thought I'd reply as I didn't want this to go unanswered. I think it's a good idea to get seen whilst the worst of the episode is happening if it happens again. She does sound very poorly. Hope she's better soon. X

DatsunCogs Wed 29-Nov-17 22:13:50

Take her to a and e. They won't mind seeing her even if it's nothing and it doesn't sound like nothing...hope it's okay

Yellowfairy Wed 29-Nov-17 22:16:31

If your DD is still displaying those symptoms please take her to a&e. I've linked the NHS sepsis page below as she seems to be showing at least 3 of the sysmpton maybe 4. Hopefully it's nothing more than a virus but it's better to get her checked out properly as she's been poorly for so long.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/sepsis/

Wishfulmakeupping Wed 29-Nov-17 22:18:19

Please take her to a and e cold hands indicate something potentially serious such as sepsis of meningitis- hopefully neither but please go to a and e

Rainbowandraindrops67 Thu 30-Nov-17 00:12:43

Please take her to a and e - she’s showing signs of sepsis which can become fatal very fast - she needs to be seen tonight not tomorrow and at a hospital not gp

Rainbowandraindrops67 Thu 30-Nov-17 00:13:41

Ps low temperatures are a sign of sepsis not just high so don’t wait for a high temp

timeisnotaline Thu 30-Nov-17 00:14:25

I hope you've taken her op , I'm sure you wouldn't be sleeping anyway!

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 30-Nov-17 07:53:51

Any news op hope she's ok and been seen

letsstickmyhandinthere Thu 30-Nov-17 09:52:35

We went a&e last night didn't get released until 2 am so as you can images I was too tired to post after 6 hours of waiting around
They think it's an upper respiratory infection and sent us home to do a urine sample, no antibiotics or blood tests.
It took 10 mls of calpol and 10 of neurofen to bring her temp down by 0.4°. Her shin started flaking off to from how dried out she is so I'm going to give her a long bath today and lots of cream.
Still no closer to figuring this out but I've got to take German or the day unit Friday if her temperature still won't go down
She seems cheery today I managed to get a slice of toast down her and some tea.
Thanks everyone for the replies I'm keeping a very close eye on her still

lougle Thu 30-Nov-17 10:23:39

If she's eating and drinking and happy in herself, then a fluctuating temperature can be quite common in a viral temperature. The temperature does seem to spike at night with these things. Generally, with sepsis or meningitis, you'd expect her to get ill and stay ill, or get worse, so the fact that she's bouncing back a bit during the day time is very reassuring.

I hope you get that urine sample soon, they can be tricky!

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 30-Nov-17 10:44:37

Hope you both get some much needed rest today op

letsstickmyhandinthere Thu 30-Nov-17 13:17:01

It's the happiest she's been for days, I'm hoping this will pass quickly 3 weeks of no sleep is taking a toll.
I've been on a cleaning spree all day, hospitals make me go funny! She asleep on the sofa again I'm letting her return as much as she wants

letsstickmyhandinthere Thu 30-Nov-17 13:17:26

*Rest not return

Sunshinesaz86 Sat 02-Dec-17 20:49:36

If it carries on insist on blood tests!! Recurring temps and 'viral' symptoms can be other things only bloods can determine!
Anymore GP or A&E trips day you are not leaving until bloods have been taken.

Better to check than leave a poorly potentially child.

Crazylou Sun 03-Dec-17 14:44:26

I agree that bloods or swabs from throat to be taking to determine what infection, my DS had adenovirus, enterovirus and rsv all at the one time and it drained him at took seizures due to it,

ForgivenessIsDivine Mon 04-Dec-17 18:14:26

Nasal and throat swabs required...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now