Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hungry baby milk?

(9 Posts)
BlakeCadesmummy Wed 29-Nov-17 01:47:25

My 4 week old son has suffered from severe constipation since birth hes been in hospital multiple times now due to his extreme and constant pain, he also will eat for england he is never satisfied and can drink 9oz (one 5oz and then 2 2oz top ups) in an hour easily so we tried hungry baby milk (for less than 24 hours) i knew people who had used it and no one seemed to worry (health visitors included) but omg the hospital went nuts! They contacted my health visitor and said i was forcing hungry baby milk down him to make him stay asleep longer and that i had caused his constipation problems they also phoned social services saying i was putting his health at risk by doing all this stuff, the day after our release from hospital i woke up to the HV and a social worker at my door wanting to talk about the neglect that had been reported by the hospital... i literally had him on hungry baby for 18 hours, a total of 6 feeds all only 3 to 4oz yet they acted like i was forcing it down him to make him stay asleep or something does anyone else know what is going on or why im supposedly in trouble for feeding my son something labeled from birth and in normal amounts ?

Rainbowandraindrops67 Fri 01-Dec-17 22:20:25

Babies sometimes eat when they are in pain as they suck for comfort.

I don’t think you should have put him on a non standard formula without seeing a doctor or hcp first.

The hospital are only trying to look out for your son.

Book a gp appointment to discuss his feeds and pain and see if you can get them to give you a plan of what to do and also a referral to a paediatrician if he’s still constipated on normal formula.

PerfectlyDone Fri 01-Dec-17 22:25:09

No, no, no, don't put him on hungry baby milk!
It's even less easily digestible and often causes constipation.

It is normal practice for hospital to contact HVs in order to give your more support.

Have you seen his GP?
Is he on treatment for constipation?
Been offered any other advice on how to manage his pain/constipation?
Baby massage (firm clockwise motion starting bottom right of his tummy, up and round to bottom left) can help babies pass wind and stools more easily.

JKCR2017 Sat 02-Dec-17 20:20:53

Hungry baby milk can upset tummies and constipation so that might not help your LO, but many babies have drank it with no problems. My son was put on hungry baby milk at two weeks with no problems whatsoever (I never told the Hv).

No advice as such but seriously? Social services? Shouldn't they be visiting the homes of children who are being abused of neglected? Like you need that stress with a young baby.

I hope your sons tummy troubles sorts itself out and I wish you the best of luck! 😊

everybodylovesabosom Sat 02-Dec-17 20:27:08

I would recommend contacting a group local to you that offer Baby massage. I learnt some useful massage strokes which helped my baby to pass wind, be less constipated. Often it would seem like she was hungry but she wanted to suck for comfort. Have you tried other settling methods or a dummy?

Google or look on YouTube for cycling legs, clockwise tummy massage, colic hold.

Perhaps they weren't sensitive when they visited but ss have to follow up any concerns from hospital etc. Are they taking any more action? Try not to take it personally, calmly explain what you did and why and try to access any support the HV can give you.

everybodylovesabosom Sat 02-Dec-17 20:29:19

Just re-read your Op. if you've been back and forth to hospital, what advice have they given you? Are you under the care of a paediatrician?

Unicornberry Sat 02-Dec-17 20:30:05

Are you using paced bottle feeding? This will slow his intake and make his tummy more comfortable.

dementedpixie Sat 02-Dec-17 20:32:33

Hungry milk isn't really for that age group. It is harder to digest and can cause constipation. Its commonly used near to weaning age to help hold off until they are old enough for solids. It has the same calories as first milk but is supposed to make them feel fuller for longer. This could lead them to take fewer calories than they need

SameWitches Sat 02-Dec-17 21:31:27

If they knew you were using hungry baby milk you must have told them in the hospital so what did they say then? If you didn't mention it to the hcp's how did they know? And surely if it's bad enough for your ds to be hospitalised they gave you advice on what to do, what did they suggest? Hungry baby milk is generally for older babies who are no longer satisfied by 1st milk to hold off weaning.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: