Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Does my baby have a coldsore??

(3 Posts)
SleepForTheWeek Tue 14-Nov-17 08:35:23

I’m so paranoid - I recently read a story about a newborn contracting the HDV1 virus and sadly died,

DD is 5 months so not s newborn - but the fear is still there and I know it can be particularly unpleasant in small children.

A small spot appeared on her top lip yesterday and today it looks a little redder.

She doesn’t seem unwell and there aren’t any other spots forming from what I can see.

She’s ebf and I’ve never had a cold sore but I’ve had the HSV1 virus in my nether regions (confirmed by swabs). No I know appears to have a cold sore but she’s in nursery 5 afternoons a week.

I’ve attached a picture - what do you think?

Ausparent Tue 14-Nov-17 08:40:36

Did you have the virus before you were pregnant?

If you had them before you were pregnant, then it shouldn't be a problem even if she has one. She would have antibodies from you so even if she got an outbreak, it should not be life threatening.

That particular story was because the mother had never had the virus and the baby was exposed at a very young age.

Do check with your GP or 111 if you are worried though.

SleepForTheWeek Tue 14-Nov-17 08:58:24

Yes it was several years ago so she'll hopefully have some immunity - if she becomes unwell i'll contact GP though, thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: