Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

8 month old coughs until sick every night

(18 Posts)
EllaMenoPea Mon 13-Nov-17 18:48:17

8 month old DS, for the past week, has been sick every evening, I could almost set my watch to it.

He has dinner, bath, breast feed and then goes to sleep...is unsettled for around half an hour then coughs until sick, it’s the full contents of his stomach so all dinner and last feed, then settles back down to sleep (obviously after getting changed etc!)

I took him to the GP last week and his chest was clear etc, was prescribed a reliever inhaler as he had been a little wheezy at night but this doesn’t seem to have done anything.

1981trouble Mon 13-Nov-17 18:59:25

Is this just a recent thing?

My now 2 yo does this every time he is teething or gets a cold (currently on day 8 of the latest batch).

My now 5 yo would do it as a reaction to dairy or soya at bedtime, once we removed that he stopped.

It’s basically a strong gag reflex so you can’t stop the gagging but need to stop the coughing.

We find that piriton at bedtime helps reduce the mucus (this is an antihistamine so check about this for age - we have milk allergies so he uses it for that aspect) , calpol vapour plug in is good for their room and some kiddie vicks stuff on the chest.
Cot propped up too or pillow if baby is old enough
Keep the room warm

Life hack - layer the Cot with disposable bed mat, sheet, disposable mat, sheet so when baby is sick it’s a quick whip off wet sheet and there is a new bedding ready below! Only got to deal with clothes then.

JustMeeAgain Mon 13-Nov-17 19:02:42

Have you had the heating on loads? It always makes dd1 cough more due to the air being so dry. Do you have a humidifier to use?

EllaMenoPea Mon 13-Nov-17 19:03:59

Thank you for replying, and the life hack,I’ll get on it!

He’s done it every night for the past week, he is teething so could be that.

DD was sensitive to dairy so I haven’t given DS any today to see if that would help but he’s done the same again tonight.

I’ll have a look at piriton ages, thank you.

EllaMenoPea Mon 13-Nov-17 19:05:06

@justmeeagain yes to the heating! Would I just put the humidifier in his room?

ForgivenessIsDivine Mon 13-Nov-17 19:05:31

My DS did something similar, though it was in the middle of the night.. . after many other issues were resolved it turned out to be an allergy to sesame. DS also had some other chest, coughing, wheezing and vomiting issues.. (mostly also seemed to be allergy related)

If he has been wheezing, his ribcage, shoulder girdle and diaphragm may be in tension which could be compressing his stomach and lying down could be triggering the vomiting. We find that a treatment from the osteopath loosens up these tensions and helps his lungs to clear and the wheezing to stop.

EllaMenoPea Mon 13-Nov-17 19:09:29

forgiveness did you get an allergy test? Or just figure it out through trial and error? I know we have a local osteopath who is highly recommended so I’ll have a look.

Oly5 Mon 13-Nov-17 19:10:11

Is he unwell in any other way? Temperature?
I’d personally take him back to the GP

BeyondNoone Mon 13-Nov-17 19:12:01

My DS1 had similar, tried inhalers with no luck. It was a postnasal drip caused by chronic rhinitis. He now has a nasal inhaler and antihistamine for when it plays up (and I've since been diagnosed with the same too)

EllaMenoPea Mon 13-Nov-17 19:13:44

He’s fine in the day, has a bit of a cold but no temp and happy. Just this every evening. And he’s fine as soon as he’s sick which is weird.

I think I’ll call them in the morning, thank you.

BeyondNoone Mon 13-Nov-17 19:15:15

(Basically, when he laid down all of the gunk that accumulated at the back of his throat made him gag, which made him sick)

EllaMenoPea Mon 13-Nov-17 19:16:25

Ooh beyond I just looked that up and he rubs at his nose all the time like it’s itching him.

happybel Mon 13-Nov-17 19:19:25

My 9 month old is doing the same as well! sad

He has a cold at the moment and when I lay him down he has a cough then he is sick everywhere

ForgivenessIsDivine Mon 13-Nov-17 19:22:56

Yes, we had an allergy test. Ironically, he had been tested as allergic to sesame so we excluded for a long time, tested again, he was clear, we reintroduced, but he was still allergic to it, it took us a while to join the dots as he was vomiting between 12 and 36 hours after eating it.

Also the rubbing his nose, does sound like an allergy. DS used to do this while we brushed his teeth. We eventually worked that one out too.

EllaMenoPea Mon 13-Nov-17 19:24:22

happy it’s not fun is it? Hope you find a solution too

JustMeeAgain Mon 13-Nov-17 19:36:39

Yeah just put it in the room overnight. Dd has seasonal asthma, the winter weather dry/wet air changes makes her chest horrendous especially at night. If the humidifier doesn't work go back to the docs, especially with your other dc having allergies. Hopefully it's just the beginning of a cold though.

deaddeadgood Mon 13-Nov-17 19:58:26

If they have a cold they sometimes can't handle the extra secretions on top of their 'dinner'
Same way we would only have a slice of toast if we felt rough

happybel Tue 14-Nov-17 14:45:06

We have just been to the Gp and they did a check on his chest, ears and temperature. Looks like he’s just got a normal cold and there isn’t much we can do for him as he’s so young sad she suggested using nasal saline sprays so hopefully that will help

Hope your little one is feeling better Ella x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now