Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler virus

(9 Posts)
peg90 Thu 09-Nov-17 20:30:58

Hi all,

I know I'm being dramatic but you how parents like to worry. My toddler has been a bit off since yesterday, today she wasn't herself, she wouldn't really eat since last night and had a 4 hour nap today instead of her usual 2.5/3 hours. This afternoon she vomited a large amount and had a fever and was quite tired and ill seeming.

Since then she perked up, has been playing and had some food. Due to previous health issues, we had to inform NHS24 who have us an out of hour appt (health center was closed for training). Anyway, long story short, the doctor said her urine, ears, throat etc were clear and was likely to be a virus. He said we could take antibiotics if we wanted but they wouldn't do anything, so we didn't take them.

I'm just really worried that she's going to be sick during the night and I won't hear and she'll choke. I know it's not likely as I'll probably barely sleep but what a worry.

Someone please knock some sense into me. Sorry for such a ramble post!

MissConductUS Thu 09-Nov-17 20:33:29

Having a sick child is always a worry. It sounds like a stomach virus. What do you think she'll have for dinner tonight, and can she sleep in your room tonight?

M5tothesouthwest Thu 09-Nov-17 20:37:05

I always had mine in bed with me when they were very little if there was a chance they’d vomit in the night.
If that’s not possible, could you camp out in her room on the floor?

peg90 Thu 09-Nov-17 20:41:00

She had just some dry toast and an ice lolly confused for tea and had some crackers earlier and had kept everything down since about 5pm.
I think I probably will camp in her room just to stop myself panicking.

Callamia Thu 09-Nov-17 20:44:30

I put my son to bed in my bed when I feel like you. I hope she’s all well over night, and hope this virus goes away soon. I am fed up with random viruses at the moment.

MissConductUS Thu 09-Nov-17 20:45:39

If you keep the food bland and the portions small she'll likely keep everything down. While it's probably unnecessary if you can keep her company overnight it's probably best.

If it is a stomach virus they spread like mad. Hand washing is a must and wipe down every surface she touches with a strong cleaner.

Good luck with your little one. smile

eternalopt Thu 09-Nov-17 20:48:43

I always dig out the bay monitor and out t on the most sensitive setting or sleep in with them in this situation. Worrying is normal - fingers crossed for a restful night for you

MissConductUS Fri 10-Nov-17 12:43:48

Peg90 How did your DD do overnight? I know it sounds silly, but I've been worried about her. smile

Realitea Fri 10-Nov-17 13:59:56

I always worry about the same thing even with my nearly adult ds! It’s because my father always reminded me of the story when he walked in to find my brother choking on his vomit in the night. It’s rare that it could happen as usually the first instinct is to sit up or move to your side.
I’d keep her in with you overnight or you sleep in her room. Don’t worry, it’s one of many worries most parents have! Sound like she’s getting better though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: