Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Calpol and fever

(4 Posts)
ecofreckle Wed 08-Nov-17 11:38:20

Several years ago on Mumsnet I heard the advice that you shouldn't routinely treat a fever with Calpol, only if pain needs managing. We recently had to take DD to out of hours and doctor applauded us for letting her see out her fever without administering Calpol: she didn't see many parents who had received this advice. I just mentioned the advice to a Mum friend but now can't find anything clear from NHS or NICE. Anyone medical or more tech savvy able to find me a link with this advice please? I'm concerned now I have repeated advice that is no longer current! Thank you flowers

Metalhead Wed 08-Nov-17 14:34:18

I’m a bit hmm at a doctor “applauding” not treating a fever - surely it depends on how high the temperature is? I probably wouldn’t rush to give anything for a temp of up to 38C, but DD2 used to get 39C+ fevers with every cold she had and as far as I know once you get to nearer 40C it can become dangerous.

Sirzy Wed 08-Nov-17 14:37:40

I give calpol when over 38.5, mainly due to the fact that he can’t have burfen and is prone to very high temps (like yesterday when it was over 40 even after calpol)

Kentnurse2015 Wed 08-Nov-17 14:40:05

The height of the temperature isn't dangerous at all. If children are going to fit they can do it at 38 degrees or 40, it is usually caused by a rapid increase in temperature. Temperatures are self-limiting. They don't go up and up and up. If your child is obviously unwell or in pain then give the medicine but it's not essential

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: