Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Post concussion syndrome age 11

(3 Posts)
WobblyLondoner Tue 07-Nov-17 21:47:54

My son was concussed in a PE lesson 3 weeks ago and still has a number of symptoms of what has now been diagnosed as post-concussion syndrome. The one that is causing us the most anxiety is that he make out letters, and so can't read, no matter what size they are. It's quite hard to understand what the issue is, because he can see other things of around the same size (eg how many fingers someone is holding up). He's also had 3 episodes where he couldn't see anything at all for a very brief moment (he said it all went black but he didn't lose consciousness - he just couldn't see). He is also having obvious cognitive problems (eg struggling with sums he could do a few years ago).

We've been to A&E a number of times already (once was a call back at their request), most recently last weekend. They always check him thoroughly. are very reassuring and say these are classic symptoms and that eventually it will pass. He's back at school now and just about coping, though its obviously pretty difficult given his vision problems.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Please tell me about the light at the end of the tunnel!

LoafEater Tue 07-Nov-17 22:05:38

My DS developed PCS after a concussion sustained in PE at school. It sounds like his symptoms were a little different to your boys.

My boy lost his vision in one eye.
Constant migraine headaches.
Tiredness
Depression
Insomnia

He basically spent 4 months missing school and lying in a darkened room. His personality changed and It was terrible. In the end, he was so sleep deprived that I took him to A&E for the fourth time and refused to leave until they admitted him and sedated him. He had his first proper sleep and it did turn things around a little. We eventually saw a neurologist at GOSH, who properly diagnosed the PCS and gave us new meds to try, which unfortunately didn't work, but at least I had a proper diagnosis and I didn't feel guilty about keeping him home from school. The neurologist thought that the PCS had sort of 'kick-started' a genetic tendency to migraine.

Anyway .... after another couple of months, no pain relief was working but his vision was back to normal. A paediatrician at our local hospital suggested taking him off ALL meds as too much analgesic can actually cause headaches.

This made a huge difference and he is 100% over it all now. It took over 6 months and it was terrible. I really hope your boy gets better soon.

Mine has forgotten about the whole thing now and wants to join a boxing club - I don't think so! There is light at the end of the tunnel.

WobblyLondoner Fri 10-Nov-17 09:15:00

Belated thanks Loafeater. What you describe for your son sounds really awful and I'm so glad it made a full recovery (but boxing confused!!!). My DS is able to go to school (but is obviously struggling a bit while he is there as a result of the visual problems I described). We are just taking it one day at a time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now