Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Nasal Flu Vaccination side effects?

(16 Posts)
dribblycamembert Mon 06-Nov-17 17:53:35

Just wanted to know peoples experiences with the nasal flu vaccine. My daughter had it today and already seems a little off colour?! Or is that coincidence.

makingmiracles Mon 06-Nov-17 18:14:57

My son had it a few yrs ago and seemed fine, but it is a live vaccine, however it’s not supposed to give them flu.
The injection on the other hand is not a live vaccine and given o people with compromised immunity.

Watching thread with interest as I don’t want dd to have the nasal spray.

Bb14 Mon 06-Nov-17 21:16:50

What is your reason for not wanting the nasal spray? Am I missing something?

GlitteryFluff Mon 06-Nov-17 21:21:39

Ds had it last year and this year.
Runny nose for about a day and that was it.
No other symptoms.

dementedpixie Mon 06-Nov-17 21:27:03

Ds has had it the last few years including this year with no side effects. When dd used to get it she also had no side effects

BelafonteRavenclaw Mon 06-Nov-17 21:29:17

DS has his Friday and has no side effects at all.

cedoren Mon 06-Nov-17 21:29:41

I was just about to post this! My DDs had it this week, and the older one is very off colour - extremely tired and had a mild temperature yesterday. Could just be coincidence and be another virus, of course.

Twopeapods Mon 06-Nov-17 21:36:25

Both mine are due to get them tomorrow so I'll be watching with interest.

fabulous01 Mon 06-Nov-17 21:38:38

Both mine had it today
So far ok but I will be getting the calpol in them if any sign of temperature

EatsFartsAndLeaves Mon 06-Nov-17 21:43:50

My 2 year old had it a week ago.

Has had a runny nose almost constantly for a month now which was unaffected either way by having the vaccine.

He may also possibly have experienced being hot and irritable for a while due to the vaccine, or this might just have been because he was really pissed off that I had no more banana to give him. Hard to tell.

100% better than having flu.

I got the jab and my arm was a little bit sore that night, no other symptoms.

Daffodils07 Tue 07-Nov-17 10:52:15

10 year old absolutely fine, 3 year old had a mild temp and a blocked nose the day after for 24 hours.
Rather that then flu.

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Tue 07-Nov-17 11:17:40

DD (4) had it two weeks ago. No side effects.

makingmiracles Tue 07-Nov-17 11:35:53

Bb14 no your not missing anything, I’m reluctant as it shouldn’t be given to people immuno compromised or who have close contact with those who are, my dd has somethings going on health wise (separate thread) which no one knows whats causing them. which makes me wary about giving her the live nasal spray, as an aside her bf has cancer and is finally coming home in the next few weeks and they can spread the live vaccine for approx 21 days I read.

RatRolyPoly Tue 07-Nov-17 11:41:30

My 2 year old had it on a Thursday and his appetite decreased to nothing by the weekend and stayed that way for a few days. He had some raging temperatures at night but was otherwise fine in himself, if a bit quiet. Apparently fevers and loss of appetite are common side-effects.

Twopeapods Tue 07-Nov-17 20:54:23

Ok the girls had it about half 3 today, DD1 is absolutely fine, DD2 however is having a bloody nose which she's never had before, then 7pm was complaining of a sore neck and crying asking for her bed. I gave her some calpol and she went straight to her bed not wanting a story or a song. So totally off. Hmmmm.

dribblycamembert Tue 07-Nov-17 21:35:17

Well we are way over 24 hours after and she seems fine. Tired, slightly raised temp last night but that’s it thankfully. Thanks everyone for input. It seems it’s fairly well tolerated.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: