Talk

Advanced search

Gastrostomy

(7 Posts)
Penguina Sun 05-Nov-17 03:57:58

Dad had a PEG fitted on weds (now Sun). She’s still quite obviously in a bit of mild pain and it’s pretty tender. How long would I expect this to continue? Since having it she’s not slept more than 5/6 hours in a evening as she’s waking up and then moaning all night. I give her paracetamol and ibuprofen every 4 hours to manage it but it’s not cutting it at night. She’s non verbal and has extreme disabilities so it’s impossible At the best of times to know what’s wrong but a cuddle is difficult as she’s so tense at the moment and her stomach is so tender.

Just looking for what other people’s experience of after surgery was? Need to know there’s light at the end of the tunnel!

Babipotjam Sun 05-Nov-17 12:01:31

It can be tender for a little while. Up to two weeks I think!

How is the stoma looking?

2old2beamum Sun 05-Nov-17 12:46:39

Hi my 2 DCs have peg/pej and agree with Babipotjam it does take a little while but keep your eye on the site it may get infected and the stomach acid may leak out which will make it sore.
Good luck, for us it was brilliant not to struggle with the dreaded food!

youarenotkiddingme Sun 05-Nov-17 12:49:05

Ime it can take a week or 2. If the painkillers aren't working contact the ward - they may be able to prescribe something stronger.

Penguina Sun 07-Jan-18 20:45:11

Had a mumsnet break and forgot I’d started this. Peg is a godsend!!

youarenotkiddingme Sun 07-Jan-18 20:56:25

Glad it's proved a success. thanks

NCforIS Sun 14-Jan-18 20:14:26

They're bloody amazing aren't they. Sooo much better than the ng

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: