Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Random symptoms help?

(12 Posts)
seventeenlittleducks Fri 03-Nov-17 12:02:29

Yesterday my ds3 ended up in a&e after complaining of stomach pain and ending up screaming rocking back and forth in pain. Blood pressure was low, heart rate and temp were high. He was kept in for a few hours and then released after they thought it was a bad virus. We were told to go straight back if we weren't happy though.
Today he's okay but he was sick in the night and every now and again he's screaming his teeth hurt, he'll just be sat there and then scream out and start crying about his teeth. I'm at a loss, he's had calpol and nurofen (on advice from hospital).
I thought maybe it's his throat hurting but he's adamant it's his teeth? Not sure what to do because it's not constant and he's eaten and drinking okay.

Themummy76 Fri 03-Nov-17 14:51:31

Well I would go back personally - did they actually take viral swab? If not how can they be sure it was a virus?
Did his blood pressure rise before you left hospital and heart rate lower etc?
You sometimes have to just go with your gut instincts.

BoobleMcB Sat 04-Nov-17 09:21:35

@Themummy76 what were they going to swab?

Given that it settles with pain killers and he's eating and drinking ok I'd say continue to observe and if worsens then consider gp Monday. Or obviously if you become acutely concerned then 111/OoH GP/A+E

Themummy76 Sat 04-Nov-17 14:18:48

Throat or nose - it’s very frustrating that hcp’s just automatically write everything off as a virus and often only test further or take you seriously if you go back. It’s the health equivalent of an it guy telling you to turn your computer off and back on again! IMO viral testing should be used more - surely cheaper to do a quick test than a second gp appointment- esp out of hours or much worse put children at risk by dismissing symptoms such as this which have some red flags for sepsis as ‘just a virus’ without actually confirming if it is bacterial or not.

nocoolnamesleft Sat 04-Nov-17 16:07:55

If he's screaming about his teeth, then more likely to need a dentist than a doctor?

Monkeyinshoes Sat 04-Nov-17 16:13:00

Sinusitis can cause pain that radiates into your jaw and makes all your teeth hurt.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/sinusitis/

spectacularvelvet Sat 04-Nov-17 16:22:29

Is he post his mmr jab?

BoobleMcB Sat 04-Nov-17 21:52:33

But a viral swab isn't quick. It takes at least 2 days to get anything back. If he's not going to be admitted he's not gonna get the results. And a nose/throat swab isn't gonna help identify abdo pain.

Themummy76 Sat 04-Nov-17 21:55:29

It doesn’t take 2 days for a viral swab

bastardkitty Sat 04-Nov-17 21:57:36

Ear infections can cause toothache.

BoobleMcB Sat 04-Nov-17 23:52:09

Yes it does. All cultures take at least 48 hours

BoobleMcB Sat 04-Nov-17 23:56:48

As someone who has performed hundreds possibly thousands of NPAs (nasopharangeal aspirates) and swabs as you describe I am well versed in their culture times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now