Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Excema :-(

(9 Posts)
strawberry310 Fri 03-Nov-17 08:53:39

My lo started with dry skin at 6w the HV thought excema so the gp prescribed some bath additive and cream. She’s now 5m and it’s getting steadily worse and more widespread. We have tried: Zeroderm emoillient, doublebase Bath additive, doublebase dayleve gel, epimax cream and hydrocortisone 1% on prescription and childs farm baby cream and coconut oil from the high street. I apply whichever cream we have been using at every nappy change and after bathing. Hydrocortisone gets it under control but it’s back within 48 hours. The nurse practitioner said it’s about finding the right cream and would prescribe something else so I’m going to go back next week - any suggestions?
Which AVEENO do people mean as there is such a massive range, there’s lots of praise for it on here but not sure which?!
Also we have switched to fairy non-bio and do an extra rinse with no conditioner. No soaps in bath only the prescribed additives. 100% cotton clothing next to skin.

Gilliancollins78 Sat 04-Nov-17 00:42:08

My son used Epiderm, dermol 500, dermol 600, eumovate, trimovate but that was what worked for him after trying various different creams.
My sister swears by Aveeno as she has been plagued by eczema since childhood.

Orangebird69 Sat 04-Nov-17 00:48:19

This Eucerin lotion. It's just magic.

Gallymum1 Sat 04-Nov-17 00:52:09

Could there by an underlying issue? My lo had cows milk protein intolerance which was the root cause of her eczema. She has special milk for a while and no dairy but she’s fine now

Lindy2 Sat 04-Nov-17 00:54:50

My daughter was the same. Her baby skin was more like sandpaper than baby soft. For us it actually turned out to be a cows milk protein intollerance which we had diagnosed after a more severe reaction when she first had formula. It's not easy to pinpoint the cause though as eczema can be caused by so many different things.

LyannaStarktheWolfMaid Sat 04-Nov-17 00:56:12

I had this with my DS. The trick is to really use the sterioud cream... don't hold back, slap it On.

CrazyDuchess Sat 04-Nov-17 01:00:48

Epiderm and the aveeno cream oil

OkPedro Sat 04-Nov-17 01:09:53

My son suffered badly, i ended up using wet bandages as no matter what I did his skin kept becoming infected. What worked for us were daily baths using an emulsifier, used huge amounts in the bath. Applying silcocks base every two hours and using a vest that had silk gloves that wrapped around his back at bedtime to stop scratching during the night. All the aveeno creams we used made my sons skin worse. He's now 6 and his skin is like silk. I put it down to the skin regime I used and also he drinks almost no milk and isn't a fan of dairy products in general. Unfortunately he now has asthma which is linked to eczema.
I'd be careful using too much steroid cream. I used it on my son for months and it's left part of his skin looking like it's been bleached!

Watchingcountryfile Sat 04-Nov-17 01:18:20

Exomega cream worked for my son who had (and still has) very dry skin. You can get it from Amazon and it was recommended by our GP.

At around the age of two, I removed all dairy from my son's diet and the eczema cleared up almost immediately. I gradually added a bit in here and there and he's eczema free now. I just make sure he's well creamed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now