Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Eye squint confused

(3 Posts)
Missmiller Thu 02-Nov-17 17:30:16

my 5yr old daughter has a turn in her eye which has been corrected by glasses for two year now but she has started to turn her eye intermittently even with glasses. Today she saw both the orthoptist and the optician she is having patching as her sight in one eye is slightly better than other. Anyway, the orthoptist said her vision had improved today after only 4 weeks of patching. The optician saw her with drops and said her prescription should be increased from +2(right) to +3.5 (right) and from +3 (left) to +4(left). Hopefully this will stop the turn.

Anyway my concern is that the optician wants her to see the consultant ophthalmologist for a second opinion as she said she can see differences in the way her eyes have developed at the back. She asked if she was premature (she was born at 34 weeks). She gave no explanation about what she could see at the back of her eye and in now sitting at home concerned that something might be wrong. She did see the ophthalmologist about 18months ago and all was well then. Can anyone shed any light on what might be of concern here? I am trying not to worry but feel very uneasy.

underneaththeash Sat 04-Nov-17 20:11:28

The increased prescription should stop the squint.

The Optician is possibly worried about a condition called retinopathy of prematurity which is common in premature babies. It can cause a squint and refractive errors, sometimes it can cause a retinal detachment or make one more likely - so children who are diagnosed with the condition are monitored more closely. I suspect this is why she has referred you for a second opinion.

Missmiller Mon 06-Nov-17 05:39:10

Thank you for your reply.

I did wonder If Retinopathy of prematurity was the concern. However, surely this would have been evident last time she saw the ophthalmologist? Wouldn’t it?

Thanks for your help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now