Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dental decay?

(1 Post)
stshapbl Wed 01-Nov-17 16:12:38

aorry posted this before when I couldn't find the children's health topic so it is posted on general health.

I'm hoping there's a dentist on here!

My eldest has always had perfect teeth, at least in terms of dental decay. Never had any decay and the only problems are to do with needing a brace and having a tooth removed as it had been wobbly for seven years and refused to come out!

I have a background in nutrition so I'm fussy about diet. They would call me mean lol. Hardly any sugary food and when they do it's with a meal. At least at home. School used to always give biscuits and cake etc but they have been home educated for a couple of years. Brush twice a day with flouride toothpaste. Only water to drink. I started brushing the day the first tooth erupted as I take dental care so seriously.

Anyway last week I noticed tartar build up on her front teeth. I have been watching her more closely whilst brushing since then. She is thirteen so have to give her some independence! As I watched her brush and told her to concentrate more on the gumline, I noticed a brown mark at the very bottom of her lower right canine. I had a close look and noticed it actually looks like a hole. Almost hidden under the gum though. She was actually moving her gum down a little with the brush I think and that's the only way I noticed it.

I will be so disappointed if she has a cavity after all these years of not even slight decay. I used to worry when she was younger and had stated being given biscuits at nursery and always expected tooth decay. But was always surprised to hear she had perfect teeth. If she had have had decay back then I would have been disappointed but not like I would be now after all these years of good teeth and not worrying. And of course these are permanent teeth so worse to have decay here than on baby ones. As she has sensory processing disorder she gets very stressed and uncooperative at the dentist too. She can't cope with the light, the taste of flouride gel and fissure sealants etc so it's hard to even get her in the chair.

She was only seen in August or September and I know decay is meant to spread slowly so she shouldn't have gone already from no decay to a full blown cavity but I've made an appt. The earliest I could get was four weeks time though so I'm going to be worried for a while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now