Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any idea what's wrong with my dd's nose?

(7 Posts)
1wokeuplikethis Wed 01-Nov-17 13:57:30

She is 4, she has never been able to breathe through her nose. She can't smell scents. She has sleep apnoea. She has a very nasally voice and since beginning school it's become apparent she is struggling to pronounce certain sounds; the school is interested in giving her speech therapy which is great, but I suspect her blocked nose is causing the problem.

I have a dr apt for her in a couple f weeks. I'm wondering if it's her adenoids. I mentioned it to a dr a couple of years ago and he said I'd need to video her sleep apnoea before he could help. So I will do that.

I've been putting off getting it looked into because I'm scared of her needing an operation. But feel like now, if she does, then we will just have to do it as it's causing a bigger impact on her life than I realised. Imagine not being able to smell....her sense of taste must be terrible too.

Does anyone have any experience of this and what it could be or what the dr may suggest? Thanks

NoParticularPattern Wed 01-Nov-17 14:18:14

Sounds very similar to what my niece had up until about a year ago (she’s 6 now). She also had recurrent ear infections and a constant runny/snotty nose. She also had the constant congestion and sleep trouble like you describe.

My SIL kept taking niece back to the doctors for recurrent ear infections and the persistent runny nose and they eventually agreed it wasn’t just infections that were causing all this. They treated my niece for glue ear with grommets and removed her adenoids at the same time. The residual infections (ear infections mainly) took some time to clear/drain but she is fully clear now. My SIL noticed a difference in her breathing almost immediately when they got home- she used to snore and snuffle a lot in her sleep and now doesn’t make a sound (unless she has a cold which I think is pretty normal!!). My niece also started asking about different smells and things so it suddenly became clear that she hadn’t been able to smell things very well for a long time!

Hope you get your daughter sorted out- I would recommend a GP appointment and seeing what they say. They might try courses of antibiotics for a while or decongestants etc, but at least if you’ve gone to them and told them there’s a problem then you’re on the right track to getting it sorted!

Themummy76 Wed 01-Nov-17 15:50:50

Definitely adenoids. It’s a very simple day op - easy for a 4 year old. You’ll wonder why you didn’t do it before. Although I believe they start to shrink at 4/5 so get referred to ent and ask their opinion.

LaBelleSausage Wed 01-Nov-17 16:08:22

I was about to say it could also be nasal polyps...but I googled the spelling and they’re also known as adenoids so another vote for those!

1wokeuplikethis Wed 01-Nov-17 21:48:01

Thanks for your replies, I will defo push to be referred to ENT as best I can rather than start a cycle of antibiotics/sprays/decongestants...they will slow the process down and I'm not keen on the idea of giving her a bunch of stuff that won't help. I'm fairly certain it's her adenoids. Don't know if it's hereditary but her dad was exactly he same as a child and had to have his removed.

Thanks folks smile

RandomMess Wed 01-Nov-17 22:05:20

From my dds experience it was when she was 10 and had orthodontic treatment to widen her upper jaw (had underbite) well what that did was drop the roof of her mouth. No more snoring, able to breath through her nose, no more sore throats or tonsillitis!!!

ENT don’t look at maxo facial though <<sigh>>

shewolfmum Wed 01-Nov-17 22:34:07

Look at food intolerances before removing adenoids...just worth a go. Dairy and gluten here...dairy back in and now ok at 5 years but has been a struggle

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now