Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Threadworm - where do you start?

(7 Posts)
Ladybird909 Tue 31-Oct-17 06:58:33

My DD has got threadworms and I am really panicking about where to start with cleaning the house to get rid of them. I am freaking out about all the little eggs that could be everywhere and understand that you have to wash and clean everything in the house to get rid of them.

But where do you start?! And what order should you clean things in to make sure all the eggs are gone and you don't spread them around again? Has anyone got any tips?

I have no spare time to deal with this at the moment but of course I know that I've got to just fit in all the cleaning somehow. I feel itchy just thinking about it! Please help!

Inkandbone Tue 31-Oct-17 07:01:40

Arrrggghhh.

1. Go to the pharmacist.
2. Ask for Ovex.
3. Follow the instructions.
4. Done.

Wellandtrulyoutnumbered Tue 31-Oct-17 07:04:53

Firstly bedding. Hot wash.

Then damp cloth bedside table. Carpet by bed. Just enough to pick anything up. Remove soft toys into black bag for a week or so that have been in bed.

Clean bathroom. Hot wash towels. Replace daily for next few days.

Ovex everyone. Repeat in 10 days/two weeks.

Clean PJ's daily worn with pants for two weeks. Bag them up in carrier bag til put in wash. Bum wipes in morning if no time for showering.

We've had several outbreaks of threadworms. This action broke the cycle.

Inkandbone Tue 31-Oct-17 07:06:55

You really don't have to do that.

The eggs live INSIDE you. Taking the Ovex kills them.

By all means practice good personal hygiene but really and truly it is not necessary. They are totally normal.

Ladybird909 Tue 31-Oct-17 13:41:21

Fantastic, thank you Wellandtrulyoutnumbered that's really helpful. It might not be necessary to clean everything etc but I will feel a lot happier doing it to make sure!

Wellandtrulyoutnumbered Tue 31-Oct-17 14:41:29

You are welcome. I find it prevents reinfection and unfortunately had threadworms loads as a kid

JKCR2017 Tue 31-Oct-17 20:21:19

Start with the bedding and cleaning/hoovering the bedrooms and giving the whole house a good vacuum.

Wash soft furnishings such as blankets, cushions etc. Wipe sofas, clean bathroom, wipe sides, mop floor etc. Also maybe a quick wipe of remotes, phones and anything regularly used - toys etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now