Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Swollen eye

(14 Posts)
Lovelilies Mon 30-Oct-17 07:27:02

Any ideas?
DS (3) has had an itchy eye for a few days and also a cough and snotty nose.
He's allergic to HDM, cats, dogs etc. He was at a friend's house with a cat a few days ago.
Not sure what to do about the eye other than give piriton...

Lovelilies Mon 30-Oct-17 08:25:31

No one?

Somersetter Mon 30-Oct-17 08:27:04

I would take him straight to the GP in case it's an infection which needs antibiotics.

crunchtime Mon 30-Oct-17 08:27:10

Take him and get it checked out today.

My son woke up with a swollen eye once and it turned out to be cellulitis in his eyelid and he had to go to hospital and everything.

Definitely get it checked.

minmooch Mon 30-Oct-17 19:46:43

Ooh that looks sore. Did you take him to gp? Hope he’s on the mend.

Lovelilies Mon 30-Oct-17 19:50:30

Thanks all. It went down pretty much straight away with the piriton, has been a bit watery today when we went to a trampoline park (?dust in foam pit/ fake Halloween smoke stuff).
He's ok now though so I'll see how he goes. It did look shocking!
Poor chap doesn't seem 'well' at all but drs don't seem interested as it's all so non-specific. He's DC #2 of 3, so I'm definitely not PFB with him.
He's just 'not right' a lot of the time sad

Isitwise Mon 30-Oct-17 19:55:21

My ds has recurring orbital cellulitis when he was 1, looked just like that. He was also "not right" for a lot of the time.

He had it 4 or 5 times, luckily we live very close to a very good eye infirmary and it sorted eventually but I'd get it checked even if it's gone down.

It can be very dangerous if not treated quickly enough

Lovelilies Mon 30-Oct-17 20:01:36

He's seen an ophthalmologist recently for an unrelated issue (the right eye drifts outwards when he looks up and gives him double vision) but they weren't concerned.
He's had loose stools his entire life (and still won't wear pants although he's 4 in Jan).
He sounds 'nasal' and snores, some slight sleep apnoea, but adenotonsillectomy cancelled this summer just as he was about to go to theatre because he didn't weigh the required 15kg 😡 and have had no follow up.
Just feel like no one cares/ are thinking I'm some bonkers woman making up illnesses!

minmooch Mon 30-Oct-17 20:16:33

I’m so sorry you feel like no one cares. Unfortunately you need to be his advocate and shout shout shout until you are heard. Do not let your instincts be ignored, you know your child best.

Isitwise Mon 30-Oct-17 20:35:28

Keep going back OP. Pester the life out of the GP

Trust your instincts, I had to push for ds to be seen by a consultant for an unrelated issue and only after I involved PALS that I felt he was throughly checked.

Is your health visitor any good? Mine was a great help

Themummy76 Tue 31-Oct-17 20:13:47

What’s this about the 15kg? My lo had her adenoids out weighing 7kg- I’ve never heard of a weigh limit. If he needed it he needed it. I would follow up with your ent ASAP and push for some proper answers

Lovelilies Tue 31-Oct-17 20:35:17

Don't really have a HV, there's a children's clinic but different people there all the time.
The weight thing came about because he never had a pre-assessment when they would've weighed him. Apparently under 15kg, they need paediatric ICU cover (they don't have that at the hospital we were at).
The swelling had gone now, both eyes are a little bloodshot and his cough is terrible, but DD2 has a cough and temp tonight so assuming some 'virus' 🙄

Themummy76 Tue 31-Oct-17 20:48:02

Ah that does make sense - but chase getting it done elsewhere or getting it rescheduled if he’s now above 15kg

Luckymummy22 Tue 31-Oct-17 21:59:51

Definitely keep an eye on it. Not convinced it would have went down with Piriton if it was Periorbital cellulitis.
However a sinus infection can cause it I believe.
My son had swollen eyelids for a few days until it went very swollen. Still not 100 % sure what it was as never got told. We did get an urgent referral to eye dr though and got prescribed reasonably strong antibiotics and eye drops. He was well in himself and no temp or else I think imeh would have been admitted to hospital.
He actually had the beginnings of it since and got ab’s again. He’s been ok for a while now but he does seem to struggle with his sinuses at times

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now