Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD 20 months sleeping most of day

(14 Posts)
Ginzella Sun 29-Oct-17 16:27:46

My DD has been unwell since Wednesday night- vomiting, chesty cough, no appetite and out of sorts. I talked to an out of hours GP on Saturday who said it sounded like a horrid virus that's doing the rounds.

She's eaten a small amount today and is taking water from a syringe so no concerns there but she slept 16 hours last night and a further 3.5 hours today- and counting as she's still asleep. It's a good 5 hours more sleep than she'd usually have.

She's had long naps since she became unwell on Thursday (3.5-4 hours). Is this cause for concern? Wondering if I should take her to the GP tomorrow?

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Sun 29-Oct-17 16:56:03

Yes take her to Gp tomorrow. It sounds that she’s just utterly exhausted from fighting off the virus but definitely needs to be looked at I’d say.

Has she had chicken pox? I just remember a thread on here a while ago where a posters son was sleeping a lot and it turned out he had hidden chicken pox (as in he didn’t have spots in obvious places), but he was very unwell.

To reassure you my ds had an awful, awful virus at around 2 yrs which wiped him out so much he wasn’t able to use his legs properly when he started wanting to walk again sad. So obviously viruses can just be terrible but I’d always get them re-checked every 3 days if symptoms continue.

Ginzella Sun 29-Oct-17 18:04:04

Thank you itsnice, that is reassuring. I will take her to the GP in the morning.

She hasn't had chicken pox. I've had a good look and she doesn't have any spots/rash anywhere. I've a feeling it's a cold type virus that just is particularly horrid.

She's just developed a high temp in the past hour so at least her body recognises there is something to fight off.

minipie Sun 29-Oct-17 18:07:38

Is she rousable, ie if you tried to wake her would she wake up or just go straight back to sleep?

Ginzella Sun 29-Oct-17 19:21:45

Hi minipie, yes- she is rousable, and when awake is a bit quiet but playing and interacting with us.

Moonflower12 Sun 29-Oct-17 21:19:49

Sleep is the best healer. When I was little my mum said I’d always sleep when I was poorly. I still do as an adult.
But I’d pop to the doctors for a check up tomorrow. And keep an eye on her temperature. Hope she’s soon on the mend.

Themummy76 Sun 29-Oct-17 21:42:48

Phone 111 and ask for advice

It’s a bit odd she’s only just developed a temp now - could be something serious and I would want her checked out tonight if she was my child

Themummy76 Sun 29-Oct-17 21:43:11

Ps I wouldn’t wait until tomorrow

minipie Sun 29-Oct-17 21:57:34

Ok good that she is rousable.

Ginzella Mon 30-Oct-17 09:38:55

Thanks everyone. We're seeing the Dr in an hour. Looks likely to be a virus but perhaps with bacterial chest infection as she's wheezy today.
I spoke to the dr this morning (emergency call back service) and she mentioned there are some viral illnesses that cause extreme fatigue doing the rounds and said to let her sleep as much as she needs.

Themummy76 Mon 30-Oct-17 19:01:58

Was she ok?

Ginzella Mon 30-Oct-17 20:11:31

Hello, yes- she's been prescribed an antibiotic for her chest infection and we're continuing to ensure she's drinking water.
She's still sleeping a lot but is happy pottering when she's awake and her temp is controlled by para/ibuprofen.
Thanks for everyones advice and reassurance. Although I'm well aware of the warning symptoms of horrendous infections like sepsis and meningitis, it's hard to apply a tick box or logic to your own child even if you're fairly sure it's not a serious situation. I'm grateful for some sensible questions and perspective.

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Mon 30-Oct-17 21:39:16

Hope she feels completely better soon.

Themummy76 Mon 30-Oct-17 23:57:13

That’s so good she’s got the antibiotics- you did all the right things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now