Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Speech and language non diagnosis

(7 Posts)
As2161 Sun 29-Oct-17 10:37:05

Anyone have any experience of problems with speech and language teams. Our son has various problems. Tone is very young for his age. Severe delay at times. Words sometimes not pronounced correctly for his age. Occasional stammer. He also uses sounds instead of words a lot.

Speech and language have said they don't really know what it is, but it's the thing that impacts him the most. They give support to school, withdraw and give it back again. It's a bit like a cycle tbh.

The worry we have is it's the complexity that seems to drive the lack of diagnosis. If he has it for life that's fine, but if it's something someone could help if intervened with we feel like we should do something.

Anyone else has experience with speech and language teams or challenging diagnosis or lack thereof? We don't seem like we know more than them, but if they can't diagnose at all seems a worry.

HateHomework Sun 29-Oct-17 10:55:08

We had exactly that and it was ASD for us but it's certainly not always the case. Sometimes it's just apraxia (different levels) but in that case you need to go to an experienced SLT for diagnosis
Was it an NHS one you saw? Did they just do an assessment it did hey have few sessions?

As2161 Sun 29-Oct-17 11:02:20

They've had loads of sessions with him. I hate to say it but it's almost like they have given up diagnosing. But yes it's nhs.

HateHomework Sun 29-Oct-17 13:12:00

Tbh thy are ridiculous if they did give up, that's clinically stupid
Has he been referred to a Pediatrician? If yes pls go back to them and explain that's unacceptable
If that was me I'd see a private ped in parallel , if anything he can give the Nhs one a clue of what's happening !

HateHomework Sun 29-Oct-17 13:13:15

Otherwise I'd ask a referral for a neurologist just to do some basic tests

foxyfemke Sun 29-Oct-17 13:49:58

How old is he?

If there are multiple issues at play, it can be hard for a SALT to give a full picture, but then they should refer you to a paediatrician or a psychologist. It sounds like it could be neurological, so maybe ask for a neuro referral to have some tests done.

As2161 Sun 29-Oct-17 14:08:08

We wondered if it was physiological too. The paediatrician isn't much cop easier sadly. Very much tells us to go back to people. We are going to be tougher now. It's just hard when they manage it like the chuckle brothers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now