Talk

Advanced search

Skin rash - any ideas?

(13 Posts)
SleepFreeZone Thu 26-Oct-17 09:11:42

This rash has been getting worse over the months. Started as one patch of dry skin on the shoulder and now it's all over the top of his chest and all over his back.

It is itchy but not wildly so. I use non- bio washing powder and a kids body wash. He is 4 years old, nearly 5. Any ideas?

shushpenfold Thu 26-Oct-17 09:15:15

It looks rather like exzema. I would use water only in the bath/shower or a ‘simole’ soap (shower gels leave residue) I would also try Ecover washing liquid abs the same on fabric conditioner. My dd2 gets the same thing and it’s inevitably linked to one of the two.

shushpenfold Thu 26-Oct-17 09:15:46

Oh and wash and change bedding ASAP.

SleepFreeZone Thu 26-Oct-17 09:20:23

I can do that thank you.

He loves having hot showers and baths and I think he is drying his skin out massively. Any advice on what I might use to moisturise? I have aqueous cream.

shushpenfold Thu 26-Oct-17 09:37:19

Simple soap....can’t spell!

I’ve used Dermalex to avoid the hydrocortisone creams but if it’s really stubborn, they are the only ones that work. Very, very thin application and wash your hands after use. You may need hydrocortisone cream initially to bring down the inflammation and itch. Soaking in the bath with lots of bubbles won’t help at all so I would go for either a bath a day or 2 short showers (5 mins) as per preference. Alternatively, there’s always the GP if you think it may not be Eczema. X

SleepFreeZone Thu 26-Oct-17 10:18:08

👍

shewolfmum Thu 26-Oct-17 20:55:36

Could try shea butter or bioskin ... we found that good. Don't use coconuy as drying. Cut out sugar (good luck with that one!)

shewolfmum Thu 26-Oct-17 20:56:01

Oat sock...can wash with it...really soothing

Justgivemesomepeace Thu 26-Oct-17 21:00:41

Best thing I've found for ds excema as a general moisturiser is aveeno with the green lid. I've tried all kinds from the docs but this has really kept it under control. Different creams seem to work differently on everyone though.

Tulipvase Thu 26-Oct-17 21:41:53

Pityriasis Rosea? I can’t see the picture very well but my son had this, I think, it went after a couple of weeks so I didn’t see a Dr. Think it can happen after a viral infection?

Tulipvase Thu 26-Oct-17 21:44:34

Meant to say, it starts with a herald spot and then spreads.

DipsyLaLa22 Thu 26-Oct-17 21:48:06

Difficult to tell from photos but history sounds like pityriasis rosea.

PurplePillowCase Thu 26-Oct-17 21:50:06

looks like my dc when their eczema flare us.
wash bedding hot
any clothes with direct skin contact wash with extra rinse.
for washing just warm water. bar soap (just a little) for pits and bits.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: