Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.
Daughter in hospital, should I be worried?(15 Posts)
DD1 was born at 28 weeks and has a long history of breathing problems. She's 3 now and this is her 5th admission, since NICU, of breathing related problems. She has a chest infection that started two weeks ago. GP gave a three day course of antibiotics and it got a bit better but didn't clear. A chest x ray was done in A&E at this time and showed infection in the base of the right lung. Just less than a week after finishing the antibiotics, her cough and breathing got worse, she had a fever that wouldn't come down and her heart rate was very high. I took her to A&E, but a different one this time, and they did another chest x ray which showed a mass, again in the base of the right lung. They did blood tests and said her infection markers weren't high - only 5. But they're treating her with two antibiotics. As of yesterday (2nd day in hospital) they could hear a wheeze which they hadn't heard previously so they've started her back on salbutamol inhalers and prednisolone. She also had to go on oxygen yesterday and was on it all through the night. Her HR was also dropping through the night (below 75). The nurses said that it's because she was in a deep sleep but in all her admissions I've never known her HR to do below the high 90s. She does seem well in herself. Her temperature has come down now, although it was only 36 this morning. I'm mostly concerned that the chest x ray is showing something but the infection marker isn't very high. Added to that, the hospital we are at haven't seen the first x ray so can't compare, and they also only know of her what I've told them as they don't have her hefty notes that the other hospital do.
I wouldn't panic but it would be a good idea (i think) to make sure someone reviews all her test results and xrays before you are discharged.
To be honest, an ex 28 weeker who's only had 5 admissions with their chest is doing pretty well. If they're hearing wheeze, and the markers aren't up, it does make you wonder how much of this is viral, which annoyingly doesn't respond to ABs. But this time of year is rather good at making small kids properly poorly. Covering with antibiotics sounds sensible, with her history, but have a horrible feeling it will be a case of supporting her until her body fights it off.
Yes. She was remarkably well for the first two years after NICU but she now has a once monthly wheezy episode, sometimes needing hospitalisation, sometimes not. They were hoping to discharge today but her sats were too low so she had to go back on oxygen. The first day it was more the other symptoms and her sats were okay, then yesterday her sats kept dipping and she needed oxygen twice in the day and all through the night, then today she's needed it for the majority of the day. The nurse for the night shift has just been in and said she's going to try getting her off of it over night. At 10pm she's due her next inhalers and after that we're going to try taking it away completely and see how she goes. She's only on 1 litre and her sats are 94. Fingers crossed!
Fingers firmly crossed. Though...often easier to wean O2 in the day, so try not to get despondent if the night is just holding steady.
Yes. Nighttime is always more difficult for her. She always just wants to hold on to that last little bit of oxygen! The nurse said we'll give it a go and see.
My main concern
paranoia is that where her CRP is so low, it's actually not an infection and something else causing the symptoms. Her CRP 2 weeks ago when she was first given antibiotics was only 8. I thought even a viral infection would have a higher level than that. I do know that I might be reading too much in to this but I'm always thinking "what are they missing?"
for you OP. I have a 24 weeker (now age 2) and dread this time of year with all the bugs and viruses going around.
So far, we've found that viruses are the worst because the CRP is often low, so antibiotics won't work and it's a case of waiting it out - but we've also found that viruses take twice as long to clear in his case.
I agree with a previous poster, make sure they review everything (& get copies of previous X-rays from the other hospital) before discharge.
It's so crap isn't it.
Viral induced wheeze is fairly common for her, but this just seemed so different at first with the fever that wouldn't come down and the result of the x ray.
We're meant to be going away on Thursday, only for a long weekend but flights and hotels are booked. Aside from that we could all really do with a few nice days away. It all rides on what her sats do tonight and tomorrow.
Only just off the oxygen and had the inhalers. Sats are currently at 94.
She's so pissed off. She was grabbing the inhaler off of me and hitting and kicking out while I was doing it. She has been really agitated since this afternoon. I'm thinking it's a combination of hypoxia, being tired and cabin fever.
In the time it's taken me to type this, her sats are now at 92
Bless her - I think you're right, she's not old enough to really understand what's happening.
She dropped down to 90 so she's back on oxygen. She's on 1 litre again and the nurse is going to try gradually weaning it down after a little while.
Although I've just looked at her and she's pulled the mask off. Her sats are still at 95 so I won't put it back on for now.
She is home!
She was weaned off the oxygen throughout the night and woke up this morning a different person.
We're all packed and ready to go away tomorrow.
The discharge summary has recorded it as focal pneumonia. Her blood results were included in the summary and her platelets were high which I assume is just a reaction to infection. I find it ironic as she had low platelets in NICU and was part of a platelet study. But she's home and thrilled to be going away tomorrow!
That's brilliant news! Have they sent her home with antibiotics or are they confident it's cleared? Either way, really good to hear
Yes, she has a further 7 days of co-amoxiclav and to continue with her usual medications.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.