Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

5 year old pulling hair out

(5 Posts)
IDontBowlOnShabbos Sat 21-Oct-17 11:38:48

Ive recently discovered my dd is making knots in her hair then pulling them out when she's in bed. I found out as it looked like she'd tried to cut a fringe! When I asked her about it she asked me not to get mad and told me she'd pulled it out at night, then produced a huge clump of hair from under her pillow.

I have no idea how to approach it as I don't want her to feel guilty about it or afraid of telling me. At the moment Ive just said that I won't get mad, its her hair and it will grow back. I put her hair in a plait now when she goes to bed but she still pulls it out.

She doesn't seem unusually stressed (she is a bit intense naturally), but theres nothing that has happened recently that Im aware of that would have upset her. When we talk she seems happy, she's getting on well at school and has lots of friends. She does worry more than most children I would say, so I am concerned that it could be the start of anxiety but I don't want to question too much incase I make her worse!
It just as easily could be a habit that she's finding hard to break.

Does anyone have an experience of this? Or any tips on dealing with it? Im going to speak to my GP next week but he's a bit useless.

IDontBowlOnShabbos Sat 21-Oct-17 14:27:40

Bump

Msqueen33 Sat 21-Oct-17 14:29:05

I'd probably go the gp. Because this doesn't sound like a one off. Have you tried replacing the habit?

DialsMavis Sat 21-Oct-17 14:34:00

Trichotillomania Support UK Can help with some info sheets to take to the Dr

IDontBowlOnShabbos Sat 21-Oct-17 16:26:08

I was thinking about getting a soft doll with hair that she can play with at night to try and transfer the habit to something else. Im just worried that doing that might reinforce the habit. But i'll see if she wants to try that and get one with her tomorrow.

Thanks for the info Dia i'll look that up now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now