Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any drs about? The never ending cold and now chest infection....

(14 Posts)
Badders08 Fri 20-Oct-17 21:43:11

Ds2 (9) has had a cold since he went back to school in August....rivers of snot...bur no temp and eating and sleeping fine.
However last week of term it turned into a nasty chest cough
I know lots of people have a cough atm but it bothered me and he is pale and not eating as much so took him to Dr who was very dismissive til she listened to his chest!
She px 7 days of amoxicillin and he has 2 days left but he's no better really and now complaining of a headache...luckily it's been half term here this week!
Wibu to take him back to Dr on Monday?

123bananas Fri 20-Oct-17 21:47:47

If there has been no improvement after 5 days of antibiotics then he needs to be seen by a doctor before Monday. He may need stronger antibiotics. Can you phone 111 for an OOH appt?

Badders08 Fri 20-Oct-17 21:48:56

Oh bugger
I thought I ought to let him finish the course?

123bananas Fri 20-Oct-17 21:55:18

He should be starting to show improvement by now, IME by day 3 there has been some improvement for both myself and my children when they have had chest infections. That he is not a improving along with the headache means he needs to be seen sooner.

Badders08 Fri 20-Oct-17 22:00:43

Ok
He's asleep now but I will phone tomorrow
Thanks

Gunpowder Fri 20-Oct-17 22:06:57

I’m not a HCP but have always been told there should be an improvement within 48 hours of abx. One of the dc and I have both had chest infections in the last couple of years and we both improved loads even after the first couple of doses. I’d definitely call OOH in the morn if there’s been no improvement and tonight if you are worried.

Badders08 Fri 20-Oct-17 22:11:45

Anyone used push doctor for this type of thing?

pterobore Fri 20-Oct-17 22:16:34

There should be an out of hours GP service where you live. Locally for me, you call 111 to access it. Why not give them a call and speak to a GP to see what they think? You should be able to speak to a GP over the phone.

Badders08 Fri 20-Oct-17 22:21:02

You can't speak to gp on the phone here
There is an urgent care centre 20 miles away - usual wait 3+ hours
There is an ooh Dr but you have to get an appt which can take hours and thats even further away
sad

pterobore Fri 20-Oct-17 22:34:12

There's such a difference in NHS services around the country! An urgent care centre should technically be quieter than A&E, is it one that's open all weekend? Although it's a trek it might worth going over tomorrow? I'm not medical but that's what GP out of hours or urgent care centres are for to keep the pressure from A&E and to help when GP practices are closed.

Badders08 Fri 20-Oct-17 22:37:18

I wouldn't go to a and e but a sick child shouldn't have to wait 3+ hours to be seen at an ooh dr
I had to go in the summer...had raging tonsilitis
I was there for 4 hours sad

pterobore Fri 20-Oct-17 22:43:50

I know it's rubbish isn't it. The demand on services is just so high. I'd do everything to avoid going to A&E! Probably still better to go prepared for a long wait than leave it until Monday in case he needs more or different antibiotics

Badders08 Fri 20-Oct-17 22:46:05

That's my concern

Daffodils07 Sat 21-Oct-17 19:01:17

Push doctor will deal with you son if you have photo id for him.
But tbh he needs to be seen in person so they can listern to his chest.
Maybe he has an allergy which is why his 'cold' has gone on for so long and ended up on his chest.
Hope you can get him seen to and he is better soon.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: