Ds2 (9) has had a cold since he went back to school in August....rivers of snot...bur no temp and eating and sleeping fine. However last week of term it turned into a nasty chest cough I know lots of people have a cough atm but it bothered me and he is pale and not eating as much so took him to Dr who was very dismissive til she listened to his chest! She px 7 days of amoxicillin and he has 2 days left but he's no better really and now complaining of a headache...luckily it's been half term here this week! Wibu to take him back to Dr on Monday?
He should be starting to show improvement by now, IME by day 3 there has been some improvement for both myself and my children when they have had chest infections. That he is not a improving along with the headache means he needs to be seen sooner.
I’m not a HCP but have always been told there should be an improvement within 48 hours of abx. One of the dc and I have both had chest infections in the last couple of years and we both improved loads even after the first couple of doses. I’d definitely call OOH in the morn if there’s been no improvement and tonight if you are worried.
There should be an out of hours GP service where you live. Locally for me, you call 111 to access it. Why not give them a call and speak to a GP to see what they think? You should be able to speak to a GP over the phone.
You can't speak to gp on the phone here There is an urgent care centre 20 miles away - usual wait 3+ hours There is an ooh Dr but you have to get an appt which can take hours and thats even further away
There's such a difference in NHS services around the country! An urgent care centre should technically be quieter than A&E, is it one that's open all weekend? Although it's a trek it might worth going over tomorrow? I'm not medical but that's what GP out of hours or urgent care centres are for to keep the pressure from A&E and to help when GP practices are closed.
I know it's rubbish isn't it. The demand on services is just so high. I'd do everything to avoid going to A&E! Probably still better to go prepared for a long wait than leave it until Monday in case he needs more or different antibiotics
Push doctor will deal with you son if you have photo id for him. But tbh he needs to be seen in person so they can listern to his chest. Maybe he has an allergy which is why his 'cold' has gone on for so long and ended up on his chest. Hope you can get him seen to and he is better soon.