Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

The Cough That Won't Go

(17 Posts)
flutterworc Fri 20-Oct-17 20:50:17

DS is a heartbeat away from five and just started school. He has had a cough continually since July before he started. Some times it’s been slightly worse and sometimes slightly better. But consistently there.

Through the day it comes and goes, ranging from a few peffs to a hacking gurgle that makes him gag. On a night, however, it hits him hard and he coughs on and off all night, always to the gagging stage.

He’s been to the docs twice who have checked his chest and say it’s fine. One night 111 sent a paramedic as he couldn’t catch his breath - we were sent to OOH who gave him antibiotics for a week for croup. Croup went, cough stayed.

When he was tiny, prior to having his tonsils removed, he had inhalers, but we haven’t used them for two and a half years.

Anyone had anything similar? Any hints or tips to help him get better quality sleep?

HateHomework Fri 20-Oct-17 20:55:16

Yup and the only thing that helps is high strength Manjula honey - bloody expensive but did wonders for us x

dontbesillyhenry Fri 20-Oct-17 20:57:49

Yep and DS was still getting croup aged nine. He's nearly 11 and seems to have shook it off now whereas my nearly two year old is following suit with the cough that will not go

HateHomework Fri 20-Oct-17 20:57:53

Argggghhh obviously Manuka not Manjula!

PurplePillowCase Fri 20-Oct-17 21:00:38

has asthma been ruled out?

Lissette Fri 20-Oct-17 21:07:19

Dust mite allergy causing post nasal drip? My son had an endless cough and was diagnosed with this. Asthma being ruled out now

flutterworc Fri 20-Oct-17 21:13:48

Will give manuka honey a go! Dust mite allergy is a possibility - will do some research. Relatively sure it’s not asthma as there’s no accompanying wheezing...

PurplePillowCase Fri 20-Oct-17 21:26:52

no wheezing doesn't rule out asthma.
I don't wheeze, I just clear my throat and cough a lot.

Butterflies27 Fri 20-Oct-17 21:39:34

Maybe have a look at ‘protracted bacterial bronchitis’. There’s not a lot in the medical journals about it. My daughter has had it since 11 months, she is now 3 1/2. It is a cough in an otherwise well child.

flutterworc Fri 20-Oct-17 21:57:11

I didn’t know that Purple - will ask the doctor about that then! And Butterflies I’ll look into that!

InDubiousBattle Fri 20-Oct-17 22:00:59

Definitely get him checked out for asthma. Prolonged cough, worse at night, is a common symptom of asthma in children. My ds has been prescribed inhalers for his night coughing (with no wheezing)and it really does help.

CountDuckulaTheSqueaky Fri 20-Oct-17 22:03:05

I get a dry, tickly cough from irritants in the air. I have it pretty much permanently.

123bananas Fri 20-Oct-17 22:05:01

He doesn't need a wheeze. Dd2 is the same age and has cough-variant asthma. She is worse at night and sensitive to dust mites. Much better when she uses her inhaler.

pterobore Fri 20-Oct-17 22:05:48

I get a cough when my asthma is playing up and i dont wheeze. Just a horrible cough especially at night

PurplePillowCase Fri 20-Oct-17 22:19:10

the cough and the horrible feeling that a horse is sitting on my chest and doesn't allow me to take a deep breath.

friskybivalves Fri 20-Oct-17 22:25:02

My dd has had a recurring cough for eight years, ever since we lived in horribly polluted country overseas. Nasal drip, clarty throat, rattling chest - Every winter. Successive GPS refused to take it seriously and blamed her for not being able to blow her nose properly hmm. Finally a new GP put her back on a blue inhaler, to use as and when. Not for asthma as such, but after 10 days or so the cough clears and she stops using it again.

Iwillorderthefood Fri 20-Oct-17 22:39:09

Check also silent acid reflux

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now