Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dd’s Infected finger (with pic)

(33 Posts)
HopSkipandaJump Wed 18-Oct-17 23:16:53

Regular lurker, occasional poster but name changed for this as it will out me to anyone who knows me.

On Sunday DH accidentally shut the top of dd’s finger in the door, she’s 6. Applied cold pack and after many tears established that although nail was half black she could bend and move the finger and it was red an a bit swollen but not much, played happily rest of the day, no problems that night or all the next day but on Tuesday morning looked more red and a swollen lump at the base of the nail which looked like pus was forming. Pharmacist advised regular ibuprofen and warm salt baths. Decided to send her to gp with DH this morning as not happy with it and she’s been given antibiotics to take 4 times a day but may have to come back or go to A&C to have it pierced/lanced. However DH didn’t think to ask at what point we should take her back. Please see the attached pic and let me know what you think, looks pretty gross, she’s had 3 doses of the antibiotics, she’s not in pain although it’s painful to touch. Any experience on whether antibiotics will heal or advise on whether to leave it for a few days or when to go back much appreciated. Thanks!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 18-Oct-17 23:18:37

Ouch! I would get it checked again to make sure it's healing ok.

pieceofpurplesky Wed 18-Oct-17 23:19:13

Your poor DD. DS has his lanced and it looked similar (the nail not the gooey yellow bit - to release the blood)

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 18-Oct-17 23:19:25

I did the same to my thumb and lost the nail.

Fairylea Wed 18-Oct-17 23:20:09

Personally I would go to a and e with that. The red around the edge of the finger would worry me and I wouldn’t want to leave it. I know others may disagree...!

Floralnomad Wed 18-Oct-17 23:22:15

That looks revolting and painful I'd try and find a minor injuries place tomorrow for a second opinion .

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 18-Oct-17 23:28:00

The red could be bruising but also might not be, needs seeing for sure. How is she not howling in agony? It's also hugely swollen.

HopSkipandaJump Wed 18-Oct-17 23:32:37

Thanks for all your speedy replies. GP has said she’ll definitely lose the nail. I feel like it’s not great but as she was only seen this morning thought I might leave it for a day or two to see if the antibiotics do anything but am really not sure, just wish DH had asked for a clear indication of what to look out for etc. Think I’ll look up my nearest minor injuries and take her in the morning if it looks no better.

HopSkipandaJump Wed 18-Oct-17 23:34:26

I am still giving her ibuprofen but she really doesn’t seem bothered by it unless it’s touched or bumped, and she isn’t one to suffer in silence!

Timetobookaholiday Wed 18-Oct-17 23:34:35

I did that and lost my nail, it hurt so much at first until it was lanced at a&e then it was instant release.
Take her to local drop in surgery or a&he

Floralnomad Thu 19-Oct-17 00:40:08

The fact that it's not painful unless she touches it would make me wonder if there is something wrong with the nerve endings .

NorthernLurker Thu 19-Oct-17 00:46:46

My oldest trapped her little finger in a door at uni. At a weekend of course so no gp. She had to go to a and e the following day when she admitted to pins and needles in it. She had to have the nail sliced off, the cut underneath stitched, the nail stuck back on and dressed to encourage new growth and an x ray which showed she had in fact broken the small bone in her finger. She had to see the practice nurse for over a week for dressings. Her nail grew back very well though in the end. I would definitely seek further advice.

Ohyesiam Thu 19-Oct-17 21:11:45

Soak it in warm water, as warm as she can take. It is likely to release is own pus.
To assess it draw round the red bit, then check to see if it is getting bigger. The signs of infection are redness, swelling ,heat and pain, so those are the things to monitor.

lougle Thu 19-Oct-17 21:39:24

It is certainly infected. Redness is visible from the photo, as is swelling and pus. There is pain on touching, and I'm sure it will be hot to touch (I'd be even more worried if it was very cool to touch, by the way). It needs to have the pressure released. Minor injuries would help.

Floralnomad Thu 19-Oct-17 21:55:12

Did you go to a minor injuries today Op

HopSkipandaJump Thu 19-Oct-17 22:02:44

No I haven’t done, it was no worse this morning and not painful, can press gently and dd says it doesn’t hurt but she can feel it if I touch v lightly so I think nerves are ok. Spoke to a nurse friend of a friend who recommended giving the anti-biopics a couple more days as she’s only just started them. Am checking frequently and if worsens at all will go or if not looking better by Saturday will go in then.
Please say if you think I’m being neglectful! Lady at her afterschool club said hers looked exactly the same, only her toe, antibiotics cleared it, nail fell off & all fine so that reassured me too!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 20-Oct-17 08:40:11

Surely your finish the course of antibiotics not just another couple of days?

Tbh I would win the award for Neglectful Mother of the Year but even I would get a GP to check it over.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 20-Oct-17 08:47:29

And tbh it doesn't matter who had a nail like that and all was ok, you have no idea if it is the same injury and neither does after-school lady.

Fairylea Fri 20-Oct-17 09:23:50

At the very least you should absolutely make sure the whole course of antibiotics is finished. Infections can spread very quickly and turn very nasty if not completely cleared (I say that as someone who spent all of yesterday at hospital with a breast infection that has turned nasty and wasn’t cleared with a week of antibiotics so they have given me stronger ones).

lougle Fri 20-Oct-17 10:58:15

We have different nerve pathways for sensation and pain, so not being painful and being able to feel your touch doesn't necessarily mean that everything is all ok. The point is that the injury should be painful. Look at it. There is huge pressure on the nail bed from the swelling. Have you never pulled a tiny sliver of skin/cuticle from the side of your nail and then got a bit of infection there? It's pure agony until you're brave enough to pull the swollen tissue away from the side of your nail, to release the pus. You try to convince yourself that it will all go away if you just leave it. But the relief, once you have been brave and done it, is immense, because it hurts that much. Now compare that with your DD's injury. It should be very, very painful, and it was, until the swelling got so bad. I really think you need to go and get that pressure released.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 20-Oct-17 11:06:19

I agree, it should be agony, I remember the pain from when I lost mine 40 years on!

HateHomework Fri 20-Oct-17 14:11:37

OP maybe call the GP to at least give antibiotic and steroid cream that will offer more localised help against inflammation or bacteria. TBH it's stupid he hasn't done so already

MyfatheristheKing Fri 20-Oct-17 14:16:07

I think you are being neglectful and should go and have it checked again today.

Floralnomad Fri 20-Oct-17 14:58:18

I think it's out of line to call someone neglectful , when she is on the spot looking at the actual finger and all we have to base our opinions on is one 2 /3 day old photo.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 20-Oct-17 18:50:52

Please say if you think I’m being neglectful!

The OP asked if she was being neglectful Flora

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now