Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Pediatrition Letter

(5 Posts)
butterfly198615 Wed 18-Oct-17 15:13:33

Sorry this is a long one .
My ds was refered to a pediatrition as he has been having various problems. We got an appointment last year and met the pediatrition and he suggested bloods taken and genetic bloods to be taken. In January this year he had his bloods taken and was recommended to wait up to 2 months to get the results. I rang after the two months and was told that no results were back yet so I left it a few more weeks and rang again genetic came back and was all ok but the a test for ferratin levels came back low so he needed an increase in iron. But the full blood count results were not back yet. I was told I would receive a letter about the blood results and the low ferratin and an information sheet about foods that contain more iron etc.
I received a letter couple of months ago with the information on but there was no mention of the full blood results or another appointment to see the pediatrition again. So I rang them up again as I hadn't had a follow up appointment or the full blood count results. I was told that they are behind in the appointments which I understand and i was told that there might not of been enough blood left over to do the full blood count in the end. Said in October I should get a letter with an appointment date.
I received the letter this week.
The letter stated that they were behind and that if I don't think my son needs to be seen soon then would I be ok to wait 3-6 months longer to get another appointment for my ds to be seen.

I don't know what to do, as having low ferratin can make my son quite Ill and if the full bloods haven't been done then other things could have been missed.
I course i want my son to be seen sooner rather than later, but if don't really want another child to miss out on an appointment if they really need it.

The doctors have just left it in the hands of the pediatrition.

WhentoD Thu 19-Oct-17 17:49:42

Low Ferritin needs investigating and i think you should say that he can't wait 3 to 6 months. If they haven't investigated his results there's no way they should postpone a follow up.

nocoolnamesleft Thu 19-Oct-17 19:29:22

Depends how old, and what symptoms. For instance, low ferritin is incredibly common in small children that are fussy eaters.

butterfly198615 Fri 20-Oct-17 15:34:13

Thank you for the reply. My son is 9. He has a good appetite and eats very well.
I'm going to say he can't wait as now there are more health concerns I do have about my son.

Kentnurse2015 Fri 20-Oct-17 15:37:34

Get the GP to order a full blood count while you are chasing up a paediatrician appointment. Results should only take 48/72 hours. Low ferritin is very common and not the sign of anything serious on it's own. I have had it many times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now