Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Warm head... no fever?

(7 Posts)
QueenNefertitty Tue 17-Oct-17 12:36:56

This is very odd.

DS has had a real run of illnesses since he started nursery about 6 weeks ago... bacterial tonsillitis, couple of colds and a stomach bug. He's also cut a couple of teeth.

The last week he's actually been relatively well, just a slight phlegmy/rattly cough that's getting better rather than worse so I'm not worried about it... but the last couple of days, he's had a rather warm head (the nursery nurses have noticed it too)- I'd expect a fever of at least 38.5 judging by how he feels- but whenever they or I take his temperature (using underarm and ear thermometers)- it's fine- 37 at the most, more like 36.7.

He's eating, drinking, wetting nappies, a bit tired and quiet from the new 3 days a week nursery regime, but fine generally ... no rashes, nothing else I can see going on.

So why is his head so hot?!? Could it just be teething, or might there be a more sinister explanation (gradual return of tonsillitis or something)?

Any advice very much appreciated, as feel constantly worried about his health at the moment!

QueenNefertitty Tue 17-Oct-17 12:49:21

Shameless bump ...

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 17-Oct-17 12:53:41

This is what is known in our house as clammy,so no actual fever but warm and clammy.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 17-Oct-17 12:54:17

Just keep an eye on him.

QueenNefertitty Tue 17-Oct-17 12:59:56

@dame

Yes- he is a bit of a clammy baby generally anyway - runs hot, as my mum says- but just worried about underlying infections given the drama of the last month or so.

Probably being paranoid!

silkpyjamasallday Tue 17-Oct-17 13:29:40

My DD has been like this over the last week, she has never even had a cold so the warm forehead stressed me out even though she was only 37 degrees. She was a little grouchier than usual and not sleeping well, normal nappies but as of today she is herself again, and actually slept for more than 30 minutes at a time last night! She had her MMR and other jabs just over a week ago so I think it may have been her immune system working overtime, maybe as your DS has had a run of illnesses recently his immune system has got better at fighting illness off? (Even if he hasn't had recent jabs)

QueenNefertitty Tue 17-Oct-17 14:44:54

@silky

Oh it's awful isn't it, the first time they're ill? DS always get horrid fevers with even mild illnesses/ teething, but since he started nursery I feel like I could take out shares in Calpol.

I did wonder whether maybe this was a sign of him fighting something (and about time his immune system did some work, because he's succumbed to everything recently!)

Glad your Dd is back to normal... DS is due his mmr this week, but given his health this past month, I've decided to delay it a couple of weeks- I know they say it doesn't matter, but I know from bitter experience that adding a vaccine into DS when he's under the weather makes for a horrendous time for everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now