Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby with tummy bug

(6 Posts)
Chamber587 Wed 11-Oct-17 14:32:33

My baby (9 months) has started being sick, I'm sure it's just a tummy bug as it's been going around. FTM so I read on the NHS you should still offer their usual milk feeds etc but he had a bottle earlier and half way through projectile vomited it straight back up. He's also had water which again he brought back up. Should I still offer him his milk even though he's throwing it up during drinking it? Any help advice is much appreciated xx

ineedwine99 Wed 11-Oct-17 14:34:43

Hi OP, we still offered our baby her regular milk/feeds/snacks when she had Rotovirus at 8m old, plus water.
maybe smaller milk feeds spread out a bit if he's sick during?

ineedwine99 Wed 11-Oct-17 14:34:56

Hope he's better soon

donajimena Wed 11-Oct-17 14:36:56

I gave up on milk and just gave water for a day but I am not qualified to say whether you should. Its important for them to have plenty of fluids even if it does come back up.

Tumtetum Wed 11-Oct-17 14:44:50

When my baby was sick we were told to give water in very small amounts every fifteen minutes to prevent dehydration. Apparently straight after being sick is a good time to offer some water too as once they've vomited there's usually a break without vomiting, during which they would be able to absorb some water. I don't know whether you should also be offering the milk or not but make sure he gets some liquid in him. Obviously if he seems to not keep anything at all down / no wet nappies / worsening, speak to your GP.

Chamber587 Wed 11-Oct-17 15:06:32

Thank you everyone. He's napping a lot today so when he wakes I've been given him water and he's drinking a bit but then bringing it back up. I'm worried about dehydration so will keep a close eye on him xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now